- advertisement -

Dexcom questions...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Sep 2, 2010.

1. timsma

timsma Approved members

I'm not sure which version of dexcom you use, but we use the latest one out (just got it about a month ago) and it isn't a manual insertion. You push the lever and it inserts itself. It's very painless my son says.

2. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

We tried using belly sites first and were never able to get "good" readings. We tried upper tush and the sensor kept bending. Also, my daughter always seems to sleep on her stomach or back, so we ended up with "???" almost every night because her entire body weight was pressing on the sensor. It was really frustrating to try and check it to always find that it wasn't working.

I had read that others had good luck using the arm, so we gave it a try. We have never used a different site since then. We place it up and down on the side to back of the upper arm about halfway between shoulder and elbow. She gets great numbers and we get several weeks out of each sensor. Also, we rarely see the dreaded "???".

We use skin-tac rubbed on the underside of the adhesive. We do not apply it directly to her skin as we were told that the sensor wire inserting through the skin-tac could affect the readings. We have not run into any problems keeping the sensor on even during the summer with lots of swimming and playing outside all day.

Good luck with the Dexcom. I think that you will love it. We've been using it since April and I can't imagine being without it.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean? I just got new dex sensors a few days ago and they look exactly like the ones I've been receiving for the past year.. nothing has changed, and they don't insert themselves.

They insertion is what I would consider "guided" - it's not a spring action like the MM system (if you use the sen-serter) or the Navigator, you have to push the plunger in like a shot, then pull back on another piece to retract the needle, then you can remove the whole "inserter" itself. None of it is automated.

I find personally that the faster I can push the plunger in, the less likely it is to hurt... and usually it doesn't, it's just a slight pinch (very similar to a shot or infusion set - it's over fast) and I've never had a painful sensor insertion with Dexcom. I've never used numbing cream.

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

All I have ever used is stomach sites. I still haven't quite figured how to insert one handed into the arm etc.

5. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Interesting! When Matt did the trial, the nurse who inserted the sensor in the back of his arm said it was awkward for her because the device was better suited for him to use in that position.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Can you look back a few days? Or is it only if you down load it?:confused:

7. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

You can see the last 24 hours. Past 24 hours you would have to download (which is pretty fast and simple)

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Yes, the Dexcom is simple, simple, simple, which is really both it's greatest strength and greatest weakness.

Chuck