- advertisement -

Dexcom questions...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Sep 2, 2010.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

The tutorial just says the belly, where else do you put it and how long does it take to start working? Thanks :D

Oh, do you always put it on sideways?:confused:

Should I use Emla cream the first time?

2. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I have no idea, but I just wanted to say, that I was so excited for you and I hope it works out really well for you.;)

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Never on the belly since week 1 ... always on the back part of the upper arm. What is Emla cream?

EDIT: How long does it take to start working?: Good ones are fast ... easily within 24 hours. Bad ones .... same answer.

4. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

We use the back of the arm, just low enough not to get in the way of the armpit area, we use the top of tushie area just below the waist and belly. We do not usually put it on sideways, esp on the arm. We dont use cream, she says that pump sites hurt worse than dex sites do, but it depends on the kiddo.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris always uses his tummy for the Dex. He uses his arms and lower back for the Pod. He always uses LMX4 for Dex insertions. but lately uses nothing for Pod insertions. Since the Dexcom is a manual insertion it takes a little more nerve to insert than the pod. We use IVPrep and Skin Tac for all sites - Mastisol if he plans to swim.
    Chris won't try any sites on his legs.

Chuck

6. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

This is good to know. Belly sites is one of a few things holding us back from CGMing.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I just put in my first sensor yesterday. I had a lot of these questions too.
    It needs to be charged when you get it, but if you're willing to stay near the charger, you can start the sensor immediately (I waited two hours). From the time you press start sensor to the time it asks for a calibration is two hours, and from the calibration to when it starts showing a number is immediate.
    I say you don't need EMLA. This was way less painful than the Guardian, I was really really happy.

8. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I put my sensors on my love handle/lower back/upper tush area. I have never used the stomach area and have tried it on the back of my upper arm and didn't like it.

I always put my sensor on sideways as it is the most comfortable and the easiest way for me to insert it. I have never used emla.

The Dexcom startup time is 2 hours and you will get readings at that point. Each sensor is different on how long it takes to give accurate readings (to the point that I would feel comfortable bolusing based off the reading if I was in a pinch). Some sensors are extremely accurate right away, some take about 24 hours, and I have had a few annoying sensors take 48-72 hours. It took me a little over a month to understand the Dexcom learning curve.

Good luck!

9. timkris724

timkris724 Approved members

Just an FYI, we were specifically told not to use skin-tac under the Dexcom by the rep that came out.

10. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We seem to always get bleeders when we do the belly, so we use the upper tush, below the beltline. I always put it on sideways. We tried the arm once as well, but they are where she wears her pods almost exclusively, so we stick to the upper tush for the sensors.

Gives numbers right after the 2 hour startup, but accuracy can vary the first 24-48 hours. The longer it goes, the better the readings, I find.

We haven't used EMLA, but Kathy really dreads the inserts. I think it's just the anticipation of it, although she says it hurts for a while even after it's inserted. After an hour or so, she says it doesn't hurt.

You will get ???'s from time to time. My best advice is to be patient with readings and accuracy problems. It takes a bit to really get used to the quirks.

At first you'll be addicted to looking at it...now, I'm not as obsessed with it. It did catch a few lows in the middle of the night which made it worth it 100%.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I may be spelling it wrong but Emla cream is numbing cream.

OK for those on arms, sideways or up and down? :confused::cwds:

Also, do you think it will matter that Seth's arms are pretty muscular? It has been harder to put a pod there lately...I would probably be OK in the back right?

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

No advice to offer since we don't use the Dex, but I hope it works well for you!

13. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Up and down on the back of the arms. I think as long as you can pinch some skin it will be fine. Depending on how much skin you are able to pinch, you might want to rock the inserter back a bit for a shallower insertion to avoid the muscle.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

We do up and down. I don't think it really matters on the arm because the wire is so damned long it is sure to insert into muscle anywhere on the arm.

15. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

My Seth (11) uses arms exclusively. We have gotten 14 to 17 days out of each sensor since starting in June. So each arm really only gets 1 a month. We insert up and down.

Seth uses EMLA for Dexi insertion put not pump sites. He uses tush and legs for those- trying to leave his belly free.

16. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We use EMLA. Some kids say it doesn't hurt, my daughter thinks it's horrible without the EMLA. She is very muscular, so that may contribute. We tried the belly once, it was not good for her. We use the back of the arm or the upper buttock. Personally dd usually gets better luck with the arm, as far as accuracy, than the buttocks, although for a few months it was opposite -- haven't figured that one out, if it is the sensors or her? It calibrates in 2 hours after insertion and generally ours works well from the first reading, unless we try to calibrate during sleep, then it will be off most of that night and more accurate the next day. Hope you love it!

17. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

We use the back of the arm, up & down. Only use alcohol wipe and no skin tac or anything. After the two hour calibration it works right away. I always find we get a lot of ??? The first night especially if we put the new sensor in after five. When he gets up in the morning and starts moving around the ??? go away. If I get ??? For more than 3 hours other than the first night it means the sensor is bad. If you've had it in for less than a week callDex and they will send you a replacement.

The first night if i get the ??? I set the high and low alarms pretty tight so it will wake me if it starts working.

Good luck. We love the Dexcom. Also, if you are holding the receiver during sports remember that it only gives the number every five minutes. When Joseph first got his and was in basketball it took me a while to figure out how to get in range often enough. I just made sure I was within five feet from him at the reading times (1 and 6 on his meter) often enough to feel like I knew what was going on.

18. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Vertical on the back of the arm. No emla. Carson says he can hardly feel anything on the insertion.

We did a trial for 7 days and we are currently on day 19 of our first sensor after the trial. Excellent reading, no errors, site is sticking great. We used alcohol only to insert. Then after it was on we wiped over the tape w/skin tac. Then on day 11 or so we put a couple of strips of opsite flexfix over it. It's been stay on and reading great even through 10 days of football practice!

19. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

up and down on either arm or sideways on the back right above her pants line

she has not had any luck with the pod on her arm, it always comes off within 24 hours...
    but we are going to try again as her lower back needs a rest and she won't do her tush or tummy, so skin tac it is

we do not use EMLA and she has never complained

good luck

20. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Matt did a Dexcom trial over the summer. He had the sensor on the back of his arm and it was inserted vertically. He has never used EMLA - of course, he's older - but he said that he didn't feel the insertion. The nurse who placed the sensor did use an inserter, but I didn't really examine it.

Good luck with the start-up. We're hoping to order this at his next endo appointment.