- advertisement -

DEXCOM questions Starting next week

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by SPICYSMOM, Nov 29, 2009.

1. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

Getting the Dexcom SEVEN PLUS. Have read the users manual, but have questions:
    1. Page 4 there is a line to fill in for the transmitter expiration date. Anyone know where to find this information?
    2. The OUT OF RANGE alert - once back in range - does the missing data points fill in on the receiver?
    3. How long until the receiver times out?
    4. 2 blood drop calibration - how long between the 2 blood tests? Do you use the same hand twice or go for both hands?
    5. Skin prep barriers? I use Skin prep first then either tegaderm or IV3000 before I place my infusion site. I saw a film on Utube that showed placing a skin wipe on the bottom of the white cloth before placing on the skin. I get skin rashes normally with infusion sets if I do not have both the wipe and tape barrier. Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Sheryl

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

1. I have no clue what this means, but i basically think they are talking about a year from the date you purchased it. This by no means means the transmitter will stop working. I have used them for 2 years after the initial purchase.
    2. No if you go out of Range you do not get the missing numbers back. You get no numbers for that time period.
    3. Do you mean how often do you have to recharge the reciever. I would try to recharge it Every 2nd or 3rd day. I also know that once it hits low i generally can get to bedtime that day on it.
    4. I do the 2 blood tests and program them in. I do them when it beeps so they are like 10 seconds apart.
    5. I use a bard barrier wipe before placing the dexcom site. I then put opsite fleixfix tape on top of it.
    Wendy

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

1. Forgot to ask.
    2. No. If the receiver is out of range, there will just be a blank for that amount of time.
    3. No sure - probably about 10 seconds.
    4. I prick her finger once and use 2 test strips - one right after another. It is basically to double check the meter accuracy. For example, our meter battery was low on the last start-up, so the first check was around 240; the next check was 130. It would not proceed without another bg because of the discrepancy between the two numbers. Even using the same drop of blood back to back there is usually a few points difference.
    5. Can't help, sorry. We use Skin-Tac to hold the sensor on, but no allergy issues so no experience with the different barriers.

Good luck!

4. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

5. Toni

Toni Banned

No. Sis may have filled this out, though.

You lose data with the Dexcom when you are out of range.

Confused. Do you mean how long does the Receiver last? It is supposed to last about a year, I think. We are on our third Receiver. We did not have to pay for the new Receivers.

After the double blood drops show up on the screen, you put in the blood sugar and the screen will immediately come up with one blood drop. You then enter the second blood sugar. I use the same fingerstick. Just squeeze a lot of blood out of the one stick.

She has not been allergic to the Dexcom tape. We have only ever used Skin Tac on the Dexcom tape itself. If it starts to peel off, we add a little liquid Skin Tac to the top of the tape and rub it in, followed by IV 3000 dressing (with a hole cut in so the transmitter is not covered up).