- advertisement -

Dexcom peeps.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Same here, only we've also started taping over the transmitter at the insistence of my teen like we did with Medtronic. She argued successfully that it's covered by underwear and pants anyway, so what's the difference between those and Hypafix? The results: better accuracy, longer sensor life, no transmission problems.

2. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Good Point. I was wondering if you could actually cover it or needed to cut a hole. We started last night. DD got a bit nervous and started crying before insertion, but of course when we did it, she didn't feel a thing and started laughing. She's almost 8 and a bit of a drama queen occasionally. I do not have any extra tape on it right this second and I'm not crazy about the spot she chose on her tummy, but we shall see how it goes.

It's good to see some of these comments that sometimes the sensors are a bit crazy at first because it seems as if hers was. It is a bit off so we keep calibrating. DD loves it though. I don't know why she is so excited, but she keeps saying, "I love this thing."

I cannot say enough good things about all the info I get from these boards. Thank you. Thank you.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

good luck Caspi. If you need help, you know where to find most of us anyway. ;)

I also agree about the inserter. The first few times it just seemed very odd to not put your fingers around the ring on the inserter collar. But, it just is very easy otherwise, and now having done it a bunch of times, it feels normal. And you probably don't have one with you yet, but you'll know what we're talking about when you get it.

Dexcom also has training videos online that I found quite useful.

4. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

There was a Dexcom rep in our area that 'started' us. Since that was the case, the Endo's office handed it off to them.

Vanderbilt has a pretty major Diabetes clinic, so lots in this area (>100 miles) go there, so maybe Dex puts reps here, I don't know. The rep was an older woman and a mom to a T1D (now grown). I'm not sure if she volunteered her time or if she was a paid rep. She was very nice :).

It took us about 4 insertions to feel like it was second-nature. After that, no big deal - and a great tool to have!

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

The inserters for the old Dexcom are practically, if not exactly, the same. I would offer to mail 1 or 2 of the old ones for practice on a grapefruit but I trained my wife with the last 2 when they went out of town.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

You guys have been great! Still waiting to hear from the endo's office - apparently they were short staffed this past week so I'll call them again on Monday as this isn't a medical emergency. ;)

I know I will be in good hands once we receive it! I've got all of you in my corner! :D

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Seriously - you KNOW how uninspired *someone* was about devices...we had zero training other than the video provided. Easy peasy.