- advertisement -

Dexcom peeps.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Oct 2, 2013.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son has finally agreed to the Dex and I put a call in to our endo's office for the letter of medical necessity. Once all is said and done and insurance (hopefully) approves it, what happens as far as learning what to do with it, lol. Is there a training class or do we do it ourselves?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's so easy, you really can just "start"

The hardest thing is the slightly counterintuitive insertion process. I watched YouTube videos to get it right. And practiced putting one on DH before DD. And the amount of pressure to exert when you snap the transmitter in and then lock it takes a little getting used to. As far as actually using it it's simple - start sensor and wait 2 hrs and double calibrate and you're off.:cwds:

Good luck!

Hope you love it! (bet you will):)

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's pretty easy. You can watch the video on how to insert & be off and going. The insertion is no worse that doing an infusion set, then you pop the transmitter on, and reinforce tape. Tell the receiver to start sensor, and in two hours it will ask for 2 BGs, and then you'll be getting readings. It's really that easy. If you ever tried Medtronic, there's no comparison. We dreaded the Medtronic insertion, but this one is over without even thinking about what we're doing.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We had an appt at endos office to get started. But the Dex arrived and I didn't want to wait 3 weeks, so I got her set up. It was very easy. I watched the videos suggested here and all was fine.

My father in law who is T1 has never had a pump, knows nothing about pumps or CgMs and only heard about the CGM because I told him ordered his, got it in the mail and got it up and running on his own. His endos office knew nothing about CGMs so they were worthless anyway.

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

This is great information

I called the Dexcom rep on Friday, they contacted the supply company and the doctor and the monitor came UPS yesterday. We are excited to get started, but due to scheduling tonight and the two hour start up we will have to wait.

This was perfect timing for this post....great information. I had already watched a couple of videos on You Tube and it seems pretty straight forward. We are not pumping though so it will be our first insertion of any kind of device. When we asked our CDE about getting the Dexcom, she just referred us to the rep with no real further instruction so You Tube and CWD it is for our education :)

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had to go to the practice, but only because we were participating in a study. That also gave me the luxury of having some expired sensors to practice with. But, honestly, it's pretty easy. The video I used was really helpful. You actually can take the sensor and go through the motions and get a good feel. The one big thing to remember is when inserting, don't put your finger around the bottom collar (you will find yourself wanting to do that) until after you have pushed the plunger down.

Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDGkHrAfVYw

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Great info guys, thanks!!! :D

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Our first few were a little off. I had user issues getting the transmitter snapped in. Once I sort of figured it out it's been easy. We keep forgetting to start the sensor though - oops.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Just remembered to mention: sometimes sensors are extremely wonky at the beginning and other times they are terrific from the beginning. If they're wonky, keep calibrating if they're more than 15 points off and they'll usually get to a good point.

11. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We went in and trained with a Rep - and really I didn't learn much more from him than I did from the video on the Dexcom Website.

Good luck - you're going to love it!!! Just remember we are all here for you if you have questions :)

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's really easy. I just pulled up a You Tube video and followed along with the girl inserting the sensor. I'm way too impatient to wait for training, LOL!

13. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

Mine will hopefully be arriving to me tomorrow! I have been ready and wanting this for months so I have already prepared myself by watching a few youtube videos and feel very ready to jump in!

But the lady at dexcom who helped me get insurance coverage just told me to watch the videos and it was super easy, but someone from dexcom would be calling me to see how it went and see if I had any training questions. I did also get an email from them giving the different training options that I could chose from. They were the videos online, a phone or remote training from a dexcom diabetes educator, or scheduling training at my drs office. If you would like additional training from them, I believe they will help you with that, and of course you have all of the wonderful people here.:) Good luck!

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

DO NOT use the big lip on the inserter like you would a syringe. It's counter-intuitive but that's used to REMOVE the big-assed needle from under the skin. Fingers off the big lip until after insertion.

That's my big advice.

Other than that ... FIRMLY press adhesive all around the sensor before insertion.

Don't be afraid to pull up on the transmitter seating lever - you need to hear two good clicks. Don't be afraid to twist that lever off. Put pressure on the sensor after the two clicks and twist that mother.

It's not a gentle process. Just keep everything straight and stable when inserting the sensor and while retracting the insertion needle. After that don't be afraid to manhandle it.

15. Beach bum

Agreed. If you go at it gingerly, it doesn't go as well, IMO.

One other tip if you are going to use Skintac. I take some eyeliner and draw a small circle (about the size of a pencil eraser) on the skin. Put the Skintac up to that spot. Then, line the Dex circle (you will see it on the bottom of the sensor) up with that and then put it on. This way, you know where the Skintac is and you don't have to worry about it interfering with the sensor.

16. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We are going to try it tonight. Is there just no way it's going to stay on without some extra adhesive or something. I don't want to knock the first one off after one day.

What is the best method?

17. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We use oposite flex fix. Cut a piece big enough to cover the whole thing then cut out a hole for the sensor. We put it on the first day and we usually get 10-14 days before it falls off. We do occasionally have to re-tape the edges.

18. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I think it depends on your endo and if you feel you need it. I know some have done without. Me, I need hands on education and dd's endo offers it (and requires it I think) so we had training.

19. Beach bum

We use this during the summer when she swam daily. Now we find we aren't needing it, but a parent here suggested we take Skintac and wipe some on the adhesive prior to putting the sensor on. It works really well.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We cut strips of Opsite tape and tape around the edges of the tape (not over the transmitter). We do occasionally have to trip up peeling tape and put new tape on, but this generally keeps the sensor on 14 days for us. Without the tape, we'd start having problems around the 4-5 day mark.