- advertisement -

Dexcom or other CGM hints and tricks? Got any to share?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by TracieandJim, Jan 8, 2009.

1. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

We received DS Dexcom yesterday! We are not in too much of a hurry to use it. I want to get a better grip and go back and read through many of the threads I've missed to ward off any mistakes we will make in the beginning. Do you have any extra hints or tricks that work for you?

I've read that you can trick the sensor into working past its expire date by restarting. How long is it supposed to work? Whats the longest anyone has used a restarted sensor?

During bath-time, or anytime rather, is it best to cover the sensor with IV3000? How water tight is the sensor?

DS is 2 1/2 so I'm sure we will use his bum for CGM sites as we do w/ pumping. Is there much of a difference between bum and tummy as far as results?

I'm reading the Dexcom inserts it came with and I'm about to do their online tutorial again. DH and I are going to try it out first and then we will use it on DS on a part time basis to start. We want to take it slow at first. Right now we are not in a rush cuz DS #s have been really good lately and pumping is going very well.

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I use the opstie flexfix tape. IV3000 doesn't work at all. The transmitter thing is very watertight. I don't cover it at all.
    Wendy

3. ErikB

ErikB Approved members

We've had the sensor and transmitter in the bath without any covering with no problem. It just gets wet then dries out. We set the receiver on the counter next to the tub, as long as nobody bumps it into the water.:eek:

We haven't tried the pool yet, but it's supposed to be able to go into the pool for a half hour no problem.

4. ErikB

ErikB Approved members

Forgot to mention sensor restarting- - - We've restarted them for two reasons:

1) The sensor shuts off before the end of the 7 days because of too much conflicting calibration information (or for whatever reason I don't understand). This happened to us once and we just restarted the sensor. It worked pretty well the rest of the time.

2) At the end of the seven days we've restarted them. The longest we've used one sensor is 13 days.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Don't let the reciever get wet :eek: Rachel has been using a Dexcom for a week or so now. Its so hot here in NZ that after I'd driven them to the pool she just jumped straight in. DEAD Dexcom :mad: Pump is fine :rolleyes:
    Shes been swimming everyday for an hr or more and the transmitter has been fine. Rachel has it on the back of her arm and we've had great readings until tonight. We won't be able to get another reciever for 2 weeks so this sensor will have to be pulled.

6. cwdAdmin

cwdAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Expired Product/Off-label Reminders

I've read that you can trick the sensor into working past its expire date by restarting. How long is it supposed to work? Whats the longest anyone has used a restarted sensor?
    Expired Product Caution: For safety reasons, CWD does not encourage use of expired product. Talk to the manufacturer and your health care team about product expiration dates, especially before using on a child.
    DS is 2 1/2 so I'm sure we will use his bum for CGM sites as we do w/ pumping. Is there much of a difference between bum and tummy as far as results?
    Off-label Caution: Although DexCom users may report placing sensors in different locations, please note that at this time, DexCom sensors are approved for abdomen (tummy) use only. Please discuss sensor placement with the manufacturer and/or health care team.