- advertisement -

Dexcom metal allergy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Jul 29, 2012.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We have been using dex for awhile now off and on. As of the last few months Cass has been saying that the sites are getting really itchy and she cant bear to wear them any longer then a day or 2. I have tried iv3000 thinking it was an adhesive thing but after looking closer at the site I am seeing a raised red bump the size of a dime. The skin were the adhesive has been is fine its just right were the sensor needle goes in. I know dex makes the sensor needle out of platinum and silver which they say are fairly well tolerated by the body, but this has me seriously thinking she is allergic to one of the metals. Is there anything else I can try for her, I would hate to give up on dex but at this point its not looking good.

2. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

My son has the same problem. We cannot use the Dexcom at all. I wish we could but for a two year old it is tough enough to find a site for a pump as well as the dex. Also, if and when the FDA approves the AP our kids won't be able to use it because of the metal allergy.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Carol (her screenname is ecs + some numbers I can't remember) has one son on the Dex and one on the MM because he is allergic to the Dex.

4. natallia

natallia Approved members

We spray liquid benadryl on the site and let it dry completely before inserting a new sensor after having had a really severe itchy rush with every sensor. Works like magic. Oh, and no waterproof tape over, only breathable woven one to hold it in place just in case, also helped a lot.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Minimed has a gold filament that stays under the skin, which is what Coco is allergic to. She can't wear it - within a day or two she complains of it hurting and burning.

I might actually ask to try the Dex if it is platinum and silver. Those are the only two types of metal that she doesn't react to.

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Medtronic's filament is actually 24K gold and platinum mixed, and my dd is allergic to it as well. (We talked to one of the engineers. She's Chinese and was telling us about the reaction of Chinese people to the presence of gold in the sensor filament since gold is very special in their culture. Really interesting story.)

Like you said, dd only two days - after that the allergic response throws off the readings and she's a miserable mess of itching, burning, and hurting. :( That's part of why she's doing the study with dex, to see if she tolerates theirs better. I didn't know that it is platinum and silver. I know that she's fine with platinum, but I'm not sure about silver. I also wonder about the new sensor and whether the metals it contains vary at all. I really wish they'd consider people with metal allergies when making these things. Silver and gold aren't exactly uncommon allergens...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Please post an update on how the Dex works!

8. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Lee,

Dexcom confirmed that the G4 is definitely silver and titanium. We're on day 3 and no problems yet. This system is amazing. She inserted the first sensor herself, I put in the second. So easy. The receiver really does read her from 20 feet away. Our best accuracy is overnight - which is when I need it. Oh, the receiver alarms, adjustable and the wake up setting really does wake me up over night. Good thing too, she spent most of the first night with the sensor in the 50s despite suspending, treating etc. What was really nice was being able to watch the receiver (not attached to her body, back lit and in color) so that I knew when to cancel the suspend, and later when to cancel the temp.

If she continues to have no reaction to the metal or adhesive, we are so getting this system when it comes out. Will let you know if it continues to be this good.