- advertisement -

Dexcom "low" problem?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Has anyone else encountered this? All of a sudden the reading drops to "low" yet BG isn't low (at the time this was taken, a BG check showed 103). We've had this with two sensors now out of the first 4. After a restart it works normally. Never saw anything like this with the MM. Here's a photo:

2. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

No. How odd. Ours will keep drifting down even after her blood sugar has made the turn upward, but what you have there looks to be quite different.

Plus, it jumped from low to about 80 without going out of range...

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've only seen a flat line on the bottom once...when the sensor was pulled out of her!

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've never had that problem with the G4, but it happened to me all the time when I was using the 7+. That's really weird...I'd try calling Dexcom if this keeps happening.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We see this at least once a day. It's annoying because we have the low alarm set to 80, which is where we prefer her to be. Once her BG is under 90, Dex just bottoms out & stays there, with constant low alarms.

ETA: FWIW, we had very few false lows with the 7+. 3 months in with the G4, & I'd love to have our 7+ back.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. swellman

swellman Approved members

No. Nothing like this.

What were the circumstances? Sleep? Charging? Normal daily activities? Medication? Location? Arms? Abdomen?

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Huh. I don't know (obviously, as we don't use Dex), but I do have a question. Why is there a straight arrow? If you had a jump in readings that big on the MM, you'd have at least one up arrow, and probably two, since it would register a big leap in BG over a very short period of time.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

i am going to guess thatyou had just calibrated within the last 5 minutes, and that it had been alarming prior to that and was acknoledge but not calibrated.

I dont like how after you cal the number might change, in your case from LOW to 79, yet it takes 5 minutes for the next reading to put a "dot" on the screen.(I dont think that the old system did that)

I am going to guess that this is a newer meter on its first day or so OR after a bath/shower.

I think you guys would benefit from more cals at the beginning of a new sensor to let it know what a 60/70/80/90's look like since you run a very tight range.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It may have to do with how often you are calibrating. I do think you can actually calibrate too much. We calibrate a bit more on the first day but after that, its before each meal and at OUR bedtime (around 11 / 12pm). We try not to calibrate with a directional arrow and honestly, we rarely have those before meals, which is why its a good time.

For us, we get the "floating down" like some said before. She was actually low and we treated and instead of coming up, the Dex floats lower. Sometimes we just give it a little time and it'll come back up on its own, on the rare occasion we'll calibrate it to get it back in range.

10. swellman

It's a straight arrow because that's the trend ... 2 hours straight line is, well, a straight line trend. It doesn't indicate an historical trend but a current one.

EDIT: I just saw the last data point and that seems to be either a recent calibration or who knows. In either case the trend arrow doesn't immediately change with one data point from what I've seen. It seems to be time weighted to a certain degree.

11. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Oh yeah, a calibration of 103 would jump it up like that. I do wish calibrations would show up on the screen. Maybe have the dot a different color.

12. swellman

I have to say that, if you're only calibrating twice a day, you're doing it wrong IMO. Enter BG any time it indicates, and I have seen it indicate more than twice a day, and if it's off by more than 10%.

My money is on something wonky as yet to be determined.

13. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We calibrate before breakfast & at bedtime. When we've seen the drops like this, it was nowhere near a calibration. We've never tried a restart for this issue. We usually wait it out....about 30 to 45 minutes.

As for the arrow, we learned shortly after starting the 7+ that the graph is where the focus should be, not the arrows. I will say we haven't lost the arrow the way we did with the 7+.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The screen showed flat "Low" for several hours, then she did the BG and cal'd it with a 103, and then it showed 79 right away. Before the cal it read "Low" which means <40 yet her BG was 100. The sensor is only 1 day old, on the arm, taped securely. I wonder what would cause this.

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

Never seen anything so low and flat for hours like that with the 7+ or the G4. I'd call Dexcom.

16. mocha

mocha Approved members

From what I've seen when there's a drastic difference like that and you do a calibration, it averages the numbers and that's where it guesses you're at.

When I have numbers that are more than 10% or more than 20 points off, I calibrate twice, partly for my piece of mind (I really am where the meter says I am. This is the CGM being off), but also because I like the number on the CGM to be closer to the meter readings. If it's that far off, it'll probably ask for a second calibration in the next five minutes anyway.

17. swellman

Honestly, admitting having no info to support it, I would suspect the low was ignored and not tested and calibrated.

My question, and please don't consider this judgmental, is why did it go low for 2 hours without a "gut check" and calibration.

I would ask my son the same thing.

A one day old sensor that went low without a "check" and entering the BG if off isn't a big surprise to me. Once it went low I would expect a check and if it were off a calibration point. I suspect that if she tested when it alarmed low, assuming there was an alarm, and entered the actual BG you would have seen a very different graph.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation but ... if the CGM goes low you check and if the CGM isn't right you calibrate and check 30 minutes later. Repeat.

TL;DR Inattention to the CGM for 2 hours.

PS I'm thinking there's a paradigm shift in your future with the G4.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  18. Lee

Lee Approved members

We have not yet seen that, but we are having many sensor failures - at least one every 3 or 4 days. Usually we can do a restart of the sensor and get a few more days. We call Dex support every time, yet they don't know why. I think it is her dang metal allergy interfering.

With that said, it is still the best D thing to happen to us.

And I agree with Swellman, did you check that she tested and treated?

19. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

You said you taped it securely...IF you taped it too tight you might be putting too much pressure on the sensor. Our graph looks like that when Chell is laying on it, and it does take time for it to pop back up...to much time if you ask me.

20. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Sometimes a new sensor reads more extreme bgs than I really have on both ends. But I've never had a graph do what yours does in that picture unless my bg was actually less than 50.