- advertisement -

Dexcom issues

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sage68, Jul 24, 2010.

1. sage68

sage68 Approved members

So I have a question for everyone using the Dexcom Seven Plus. We have been using it on both of my girls for about a month now and from day 1, Elly's has been nothing but trouble. The 1st sensor I placed on her the 1st week had several sensor 1 errors and several ???. The 2nd weeks that sensor seemed to do OK but then the 3rd week, I had 3 sensors fail during the 2 hour start-up. After that happened, Dexcom sent us a new transmitter and, fingers crosses, so far so good.

Now, up to that point, Anne's had been acting like a model citizen. Then today I went to do a sensor change on her and I had 2 sensors fail!:mad: I couldn't believe it. Dexcom tech support couldn't figure out what was up. I sent them the information from the receiver and they also said that she has several 10ish minute gaps in data that isn't normal as well so they are sending a new transmitter and receiver for her (of course we won't get it until monday due to today being Friday).

I just don't get why we have had so many problems with BOTH of the girls in the 1 month that we have had them on Dex. I am really hoping that we just got a bad batch and Anne's will start working like it should but I am just so frustrated. So I guess my question is if anyone else has had problems like this with Dex? I really don't want to switch to MM but will if this continues.:(

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Take the following for what it's worth - anecdotes.

Our first month was idyllic. CGM was spot on and we reduced finger sticks significantly. Then we had some "issues". Bad placement, swimming, etc. where we had a low confidence in the sensors. We called and conversed and we were told that, due to the current technological development, there were good sensors and there were bad. So ... with approval, we called in the "bad", got replacements, and kept on going. We replaced the last three sensors within 2 days of start up and our last one has been within 10% or better for almost two weeks now. In fact, I have become quite attached to this sensor and I find myself chastising my son for not being a better friend to it (just kidding but not by much).

This is my opinion - if you get a good sensor, don't let it go - tape it with duct tape or whatever is on hand. If, on your second day, you find yourself testing more because of a lack of confidence in the sensor - change it out.

The good ones are good and, as far as I can tell, are good for a good long time. The bad ones are the ones that make you pull your hair out. Toss 'em. Call them in and get another one. I don't believe it's a placement issue - for us.

3. sage68

sage68 Approved members

That is actually good advice. I have been kicking myself for letting the last sensor of Anne's go because it did get such good readings. The one Elly has on right now is awesome. I did order different adhesive which should be in any day now, which is good because she seems to have an allergy to skin tac but that is what i have on hand to use. Hopefully this sensor will hang on until the new adhesive arrives because it has been trying to come off. I have been placing IV3000 over it but poor Elly breaks out so easily that IV3000 isn't a good option for her either.

Do you think that I should try 1 more sensor or just wait for the transmitter to arrive? Like I said, both of these sensors failed before the initial 2-hour startup.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

Firstly, caveat emptor, I am not a doctor but I doubt transmitter issues. I guess it could happen but I would wager it's just bad luck with the sensor. If you get a good sensor - hold on for dear life (this is obviously opposite medical advice).

I am confused though ... do you have one transmitter/receiver for both?

5. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I have one transmitter and receiver for each girl, so 2 in the house. I was also wondering about the sensors because it just seemed so odd to me that BOTH transmitters would die. Maybe i will try another sensor on Anne today and use the transmitter I have and if i find a good sensor, just put the new transmitter when it arrives on the working sensor. I just hate having to poke the girls so often to find a working one! But i guess if I find a working one, they can go for a while before they are poked again.

What do you do to keep the sensors on between changes? What have you found works? My 4-year old is pretty active so it gets knocked a lot.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Silly thought here, but I was told that the ??? is often when there is an immune response at the site, and the numbers look wiggy so the machine would rather just shrug its shoulders at you than give you a good number.

I have noticed a possible correlation between when there is a virus in the house and we have sensor problems. I'm wondering if maybe when there is a strong viral or bacterial infection going around, the immune system is ramped up and you're more likely to get trouble.

I have three kids in the house. One had an upset stomach for three or four days, then an afternoon of throwing up, then over it. The other two kids showed nothing. But my diabetic three year old had high numbers for about a week during that time, and the sensor was often well off. I think she was fighting the virus and winning, so never showed any symptoms, but we could "read" the fight in her machinery! :eek:

Just an added and probably useless thought, since you had one kid after another with issues?

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I had a ??? only once or twice. Ended up a bent sensor. I also tilt the sensor so I get a more shallow insertion as told by my trainer so it doesn't happen anymore. If the 'toes' of the transmitter is not locked into place correctly you can get water underneath and cause ???

We use back of arms only