- advertisement -

DexCom is here!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bgallini, Aug 10, 2010.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

...and Alex is wearing it. :D We'll see how it goes!

I only have one question so far....if he wants to use one sensor longer than 7 days, how does he tell the transmittor to keep going?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Very easy. Go down in the menu and press start sensor if it has already ended. IF he has goten the change sensor soon then he can press stop sensor then start sensor. We are on our third start of my older son's sensor. Which is day 16 for us. It is very accurate right now.
    He may have to add some tape to keep it on. At each 7 day restart I put on fresh Hypafix tape.

3. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I didn't post, but our Dex came two days ago.
    My daughter hates the needle!
    The Navigator had the needle hidden in that tubey thing, so, it's still in the box!

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Thanks!

Ok, next question, do people put something (hypafix, tegraderm, iv3000) over the sensor from the start? (I see the suggestion to put hypafix over it on day 7) When we did the MM cgms trial the woman put tape and something else on top.

If you do use something, what do you use and what size. I got some tegraderm but the smaller size looks too small and the bigger size seems huge. Small one is 2 3/8 in by 2 3/4 in and large is 4in by 4 3/4 in.

5. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

You can try to reassure her that the needle thing that you can see through the inserter does NOT go all the way in! That big giant looking thing stays pretty much stationary.Do you guys use EMLA? We dont but DD reports dex sites hurt less than pump sites usually. Trying to get the inseter off the site is more painfull than the actual insertion she says. Poor kids! They have to endure so much!

6. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

We use mastisol under (but not where the needle goes) and put tegaderm over the site if it starts to peel up. Good Luck!

7. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We use IV3000 to cover it if it starts to come loose. That usually works well for us. I also have Hypafix, but haven't tried that yet, although I think it's the same tape the sensor has already.

Kathy is not fond of the insertions either - although I think it's just the thought of the needle going in that bothers her more the the fact that it hurts. Sometimes she says she barely feels it. We do not use EMLA.

Makes us appreciate the Pod more - the automatic insertion on that is awesome!

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We use LMX4 which is OTC and works in 30 minutes. The inserter is not as long as it appears.

Chuck

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

The nice thing about the Dex for us is that you usually don't need extra tape.We use IV prep and SkinTac. We add Mastisol if he will be swimming.
    We get 10 to 14 days before it falls off.

Chuck

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We do not use tape at the beginning, but will use hypafix if it starts to peel up -- more in the summer because of swimming and sweating. We do use skin-tac around the edges of the dex tape (steering clear of the sensor wire) and once it's on we wipe it around the edges of the tape for some extra adhesion. We use EMLA, my daughter thinks the dex sites are incredibly painful without it, but she is incredibly muscular for a skinny little thing and inserting anything in her is a challenge, usually there is some bleeding. With the EMLA, she can barely feel it. We have to leave it on for at least an hour for her.

11. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Barbie, glad it came before he has to head back to school! Matt did a Dexcom trial a couple of weeks ago and liked it. We're waiting for a report from his endo and he wants to get it if it's covered by insurance. :)

When he did the trial, the nurse did the insertion and she used Mastisol. He only wore it for a week and didn't need any extra tape.

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I use Opsite Flexifix for my CGMS sites. The 4 inch size (box says 4in x 10.9yds) . I like that it is very transparent once it is on.

The Dex will not stay on me more then a few days or so without the extra tape. Found that out the first sensor I put in!