- advertisement -

Dexcom here we come

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

So last time we were at the endo I asked about getting dexcom for Cassidy and they were on board with it and said just call edgepark and get it in motion, that was on the 10th. Well today I got a call back from edgepark and we are approved for it and it will be here on monday or tuesday. :D Any of you folks who have been using dexcom for awhile have any tips or tricks for us that would be greatly appreciated.

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

Excellent. Hope we are right behind you on the Dexcom thing.

3. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

woot woot..congrats:D

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Congrats!

We insert on back of upper arm. I place the receiver on some coins and use a baby monitor to hear it. I heard of people putting it on top of an upside down metal bowl or inside a fish bowl.

I pinch up for inserting. I use a Bard wipe under sensor tape leaving a small hole where I do not put it for the sensor to go in. That area cleaned with alcohol wipe. I use medical tape Hypafix at day 7 when I restart to keep it on the next 7 days.

Can require more calibrations first day if 'off'. After first day it should be running good. We calibrate twice a day after that.

We put the receiver in a spibelt.

Good Luck!

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

We just started the Dex around Oct. 1st but we used the Navigator before that for 2 years so I wasn't new to cgms.

With the Dex we put the receiver into a small tall container that has the baby monitor in it too - it is small enough that the Dex has to stand up right next to the monitor and rests against it. This is enough to wake up my husband but I often sleep right through it.

We also use the back of the arm - no problems there. I've had only one sensor that stopped working after a couple of days and Dex replaced it.

Accuracy has been fairly good compared to the Nav. It may not catch the low as quickly as the Nav did but it would get there eventually I think.

Insertion is quick. William says it hurts (compared to the Navigator) - we always use EMLA cream.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Interesting, we have found that the Dex catches the lows quicker than Navigator. It doesn't recover as fast though. One difference may be that she wore the Navigator on her arm, and the Dex is on her stomach. Melissa didn't say either of them hurt, but we never see even a smidge of blood with the Dex, and we used to see lots of it with Navigator. Sometimes so much that it ruined the sensor, but other times not enough to even be sure that it was in. I really like the longer angled sensor because I never worry that it may have come out like I did with Navigator.

7. CassiesMama

So you guys are able to restart the sensors???? so that means that as long as it looks good we could get more then a week out of one?

8. selketine

Yes you can restart by simply ending the sensor session then hitting start sensor. It goes through the two hour warm-up again.

We have mixed luck on restarts - some go another 7 days and some don't quite make it. Some sensors have only gone close to 7 days.

9. CassiesMama

Will have to try it once we have been using it for a few months and get the hang of it.

10. selketine

Well - the restart is so easy I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you try restarting your sensors right away - or perhaps with the 2nd one. A restarted sensor has been more accurate than a new one for us.

Try doing the restart earlier in the day (or afternoon) and if it doesn't work for some reason then you still have time to replace the sensor.

I haven't tried more than 2 weeks on one sensor but his arm has looked great.

11. Melissata

I agree with Carol. You should try restarting right away so that you have back up sensors in case you have any that fail. Dex will send out replacements but if it happens to be your last sensor, then you are without one for a few days. Also, you only get 4 sensors per box, so they last only 28 days. That works for February, lol, but the rest of the months you have a problem. Some insurances will allow more than one box per month, but most won't. We almost always get 2 full weeks out of a sensor, adding tape to keep it on.

12. CassiesMama

Ok so try to restart right with the first one. Is there anything I need to do to make sure the site stays on. We have had issues with her pump sites staying on if she takes a bath. I know edgepark was telling me that when I can order a new box will vary since they are good for 4 weeks worth so I think I can get them every 28 days but if they are late with sending stuff out we are going to be in a bind then too. So how do you know if the site is going bad is it that the numbers just dont match up well or what?

13. selketine

Well you can always restart the 2nd one if you want to pull the first one off after 7 days and make sure her skin is ok. This was my ONLY concern on the restart.

William wears it on the back of the arm and I wrap his arm in some of the soft wrap that sticks to itself that you can find in the drugstore. Sometimes called "vet wrap" cause vets use it cause it doesn't stick to fur.

If the edges peel up I use some opsite flexifix to tape them back down. This works ok usually. If your kid still plays in the tub you may need something better. I tried Skin Tac around the edges that peeled up once but that did literally nothing - to my surprise. It didn't even hold the bandage back down for more than a day. But I only tried once.

Don't use skin tac on the whole area before putting it on - FYI. The skin where the sensor goes in just needs to be clean with no wipe stuff there.

14. Melissata

We use Flexifix also, and skin tac if the edges have come up pretty badly where it looks like the tape just won't be enough. If you put the skin tac under the loose part, hold it down till tacky, and then add the strip of Flexifix, that will do the job. We cut the 4 inch Flexifix into one inch strips and then round the edges and cut down to size, using one strip per side and kind of frame it with the 4 strips.

You will know the sensor is going bad if the numbers are wonky, or if you start to get ??? for more than an hour or so after doing the restart on day 7. FYI, you don't have to wait till it is completely done, you can stop and restart it when the timing is best for you, because you will still have the two hour wait. Even if you only restart one a month, that should give you the extras that you need with waiting for the new box. But since they seem to become even more accurate as time goes on, most people do the restart I think.