- advertisement -

Dexcom has drastically improved a1C

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Charlotte's last a1c (5 months ago) was 7.8. It's usually in the 7s, and we've always been happy with that. Yesterday at her appointment her a1c came back at 6.3. I'm honestly having a hard time believing it! But so excited at the same time. We've done a lot of basal testing and fine-tuned her pump settings in the last month, but I think the Dexcom has made the biggest difference. She still has random highs, but at least hours don't go by without us finding out about them and correcting. And her night numbers are significantly better. Before the Dex I preferred that her bg be in the upper 100s before I felt comfortable sleeping. (and if I'm totally honest, a low 200 was even better) Now, I'm fine letting her sleep in the lower 100s. I still get up to check her at least once in the night, but since I know I'll wake up to the alarm if she gets below 80, those low 100s don't scare me like they used to. I really don't feel like she has any more lows than she used to either. Anyway, just finally feeling good about this darn disease! And I'm LOVING her dexcom!

2. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Wonderful!!! I am hoping to get DD a CGM yet this fall.

3. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

That is incredible, Danielle! Way to go. :)

4. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Thanks! I rarely feel good about anything diabetes related (obviously) but I came out feeling like I just kicked diabetes in its ugly face. Wa ha ha!

5. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

That's awesome really. I want to kick diabetes in ours ugly face too! I'm hoping we get the Dec approved by insurance next month!

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yes, that's pretty much what a CGM does to diabetes. 6.3 is a great first A1C for using a CGM. Congratulations!

7. natallia

natallia Approved members

awesome A1c! I have very much the same feelings about cgm too. Our last a1c was 6.3 (down from 8.2 before cgm) as well which I am sure the dexcom played huge part in. Knowing your bgs at ALL times and especially which way its headed is amazing.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

9. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

That's awesome! Between Dex and OmniPod our son went to 6.5. Now if only he'll stay there, because I'm sure soon he will be out of honeymoon and we'll be dealing with highs!