advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexcom G5 users....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sey76, May 9, 2017.

1. sey76

sey76 Approved members

I'm getting the Dexcom for my 8 year old daughter. (Very excited) I have a few questions. We plan to just use an iPhone. Since we will be purchasing her a phone I'm going to try and get an older version so it's a bit cheaper. I also want the option of the sharing feature. Anyone have an idea of how much data the app uses? I'll try and get her hooked up to wifi at the school at least. It might be shotty though. Also for her sports, if I don't want her wearing the phone ... how quickly would the app pick back up readings once in range again. I'm thinking soccer for instance. If she comes off for a shift and sits in range to her phone will it update where she currently is quickly or if it has been out of range is this quite a process?
    Thanks for any info any one has.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi Shannon. We use Share too. I can't tell you exactly how much data the app uses, but it's not a lot. Put it this way, it's negligible enough that I didn't notice a difference in our data usage when he started using it.

With respect to the app picking her back up again once she is in range...it varies a lot. Sometimes right away, and sometimes we have to re-pair the transmitter with the phone. Things have been better in this regard for us lately, so I do wonder if they have made some server upgrades.

You're really going to love the Dexcom. It has allowed my son to have so much more freedom than he would otherwise, and has allowed me to have frequent good nights of sleep. :)

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Don't buy too old of iPhone without talking to Dexcom first. We just had to buy my daughter a new phone, so she called and talked to them before purchasing. The person she talked to said the 4s is rather a dinosaur and it won't be long before it's not supported. We ended up getting her a used 6 in hopes of not needing to update phones for a while.

Hawkeye Girl nailed with with "It has allowed my son to have so much more freedom than he would otherwise". It's a game-changer. The nights...all depend on how many variables are in play that counteract each other and whether our best guess on adjusting basal nails it. Not its fault, and it definitely allows for greater quality of sleep, knowing they're monitored. Before cgm, we tried to have all mealtime insulin worn off before (my) bedtime. That really wouldn't fly in a later teen's life when they get off work starving hungry at late hours.

4. sey76

sey76 Approved members

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the phone thing more for sure.
    We go through so many strips it is insane. She plays soccer and runs track. Her bs response is completely dependent on if it is a game or a practice and sometimes it even varies depending on which coach is there. If this frees us and her up from checking her sugar immediately before practice, during and after it will be a huge win for us.
    I also know there is no way at this point I would sleep my night away but it will be so much easier to glance at my phone rather than trying to check her without waking her up.
    I still have to look into phones and the best medical tape to keep it secure and on for longer.....

5. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

My DD has a pre-owned iPhone 4S on the Ting network that we got last September. I just looked through all the bills since then, and the most that we have used was 50 mb. However, she is homeschooled and connects via Wi-Fi as much as possible. That keeps the usage down. Not happy to hear that they will eventually pull support for the 4S, but I supposed it's inevitable. I look forward to when they will support Share on the Android network and I can add her to the Republic Wireless that the rest of us have. Easier to pay one bill than two.

6. MomofSweetOne

We used Hypafix for the first four years and just tried Opsite Flexifix after reading about it here. My daughter prefers the Opsite Flexifix now for the sensor since it's in use for a couple weeks, but for her Contact Detach sites, she prefers Hypafix. The Opsite is so stuck still after 2-3 days that it rips her skin to remove it.

(On that note, don't be afraid to order new things to sample, even if your kid tells you no. I've discovered that the resistance to trying something new is less when frustration is involved and the alternative to try is easily available. My daughter was furious with me for ordering sample steel sites, but she wears them almost all the time now. My frustration with kinks just preceded hers by a couple of weeks.)

I ordered the label punch from Amazon, and it works like a dream with the Dexcom. http://https://www.amazon.com/EK-tools-Classic-Tag-Punch/product-reviews/B00GGLAL7E

We still test several times a day (or nights), but far, far less than before cgm.

We try to get calibrations in at lows, in range, and highs during the first 24 hours. It seems to make it much more accurate for the remainder of the week.

"Lows" get stuck at night because the interstatial fluid isn't moving around much, so I never retreat a nighttime low without a verifying finger check to make sure she's still low. Often it's just lag time, but there's the times it's not, so I'm just more comfortable verifying what's happening with blood.

7. sey76

sey76 Approved members

Thanks guys. All good advice.

8. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

Hi everyone!
    We are also in the process of getting Dexcom 5 for the first time. We are gonna use a receiver

9. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

Dexcom Canada is saying the android support will be available in September. I am hoping for earlier than that because my DD is going on a student exchange several provinces away and I want to have it up and running by then. Worst case scenario I will get a used I pod touch, or borrow one to use and put data on it until android is available.

10. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My daughter plays competitive soccer as well and we hardly ever do a prick before, during or after. We just make sure she is where she needs to be according to Dex before. She won't pick up most of the time during a game or practice, but if she gets close enough to her bag during a drill or takes a break during a game, she will often ping once so we know a general idea of where she is. If there is any question, or there is an extreme high or low, we will have her prick but it makes the whole process much less of a bother.

11. sey76

sey76 Approved members

Got the Dex today! Super simple insertion. My daughter was a bit nervous when we were setting up even though she does all her own insulin injections. She didn't even feel it. So much so I wondered until it was paired if I had done it correctly. It is amazing and the freedom I feel already is amazing. I haven't done a finger poke since the two it asks for at the beginning. Do you guys normally do pokes at any other times than calibration (or the common sense reasons like feeling different than the number type thing).
    Thanks!

12. MomofSweetOne

I think you'd get different answers depending on who answers. Some people only do the two calibrations per day and dose off the cgm. We do less than we used to, but more than just the calibrations. Sensors can vary greatly in accuracy, so once we get a feel for the sensor, that affects it as well. One time that I always revert to blood is if she's not coming up at night. The cgm can have a great deal of lagtime when they're sleeping since the body fluids aren't moving. A realarm low can still be low or beautifully up for sleeping, and I'd rather poke than then treat a high for overtreating.

13. Sprocket

We calibrate three times a day, first thing in the morning, right after school and before bed - all times when she is usually on a straight line. I've read not to calibrate while moving up or down. I agree, If the low alarm goes off, we fingerpoke and we ignore the CGM and just go with meter readings until we see her blood sugar going up nicely again. The lag time adds an element of stress we don't need. I also would finger poke in the night if the cgm is showing she needs a significant correction, I test with the meter before giving her insulin.

14. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We just calibrate twice a day unless the Dex is just way off and has a straight arrow. We routinely dose off of dex for highs and lows day and night. I'm not going to go crazy with a correction at night based on the Dex, but if it has been a day where the Dex was accurate, I do give her insulin during the night based on the reading and I also treat lows based solely on Dex. I am only going to prick in the night if we have just had a crazy evening and I have a reason to suspect it is off or if she has a stubborn low that won't come up.

15. sey76

sey76 Approved members

Thanks for the responses. I have found it to be very accurate so far. I still have her poke at lunch at school with the nurse but that is the only added poke we do so far other than calibrations.
    I've been dosing based on the dex as well without any problems. Mind you our calibration times are usually before breakfast regardless so that meal is with both. I'm so thankful we have coverage for this and really hope it becomes standard coverage because it has taught us so much in terms of best foods etc since she started wearing it friday.

16. Sprocket

I totally agree. I can't imagine life without it and I don't know how I tried to figure things out before it!

17. Portabella

Has anyone tried to get more than 7 days out of a sensor?

18. sey76

sey76 Approved members

We got 14 days out of our first sensor. Our second sensor was terrible. Every time I tested it was WAAAY off. But called them today and they are replacing it. The new one I put on her tonight seems better already.

19. Portabella

We started Dexcom last Monday. Sensor was bad on the first day, but then perfect for the rest of the week. Today, it timed out, so I clicked "stop sensor" and "start sensor" without replacing it, just as our Dr. told me to. But before bed, it gave me question marks on the receiver, so I ended up changing a sensor.

20. Portabella

sey76, thank you! Who do you call when you feel that your sensor isn't right?