- advertisement -

Dexcom G5 - Parents with Little (er) Children - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Nov 15, 2016.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Hi All - Been trying to get opinions from parents of little er children whether its worth making the switch from PLAIN G4 (not share) to G5 (once its available here in Canada). I have a just turned 6 year old. I see all the benefits for an adult or teen and my husband will be jumping to the G5 - though I have heard some folks don't like looking at their BG's on the phone. But please, tell me about how you use the G5 with your younger children to remotely monitor when teachers/caregivers are looking after their diabetes. Do you still use the receiver? Phone? Both? Worth the switch?

Thanks!!

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Yes. Our daughter is 6, and she has been on G5 for approximately a year. We no longer use the Dexcom-issued receiver, and instead we use an iPod that runs Share off the school wifi. We don't have a data plan, so there are times when we don't receive remote data.

Her caregiver at school is a nurse's aide who is not in the classroom with her. Her multiple teachers (classroom, PE, music, etc) only know the barest minimum about T1D and in some cases wouldn't even hear a beep because the environment is so loud. We parents watch her remotely during the school day, and we text the nurse's aide if she is trending up or down. We've headed off a lot of lows that way. So, just for example, we can treat a trending low with a glucose tab before it turns into a real low that requires a juice box and 15 minutes in the office.

Another benefit is that we now have a much better sense of her school day patterns than we did pre-Share. We make a lot more adjustments to her daytime ICR and basals than we used to, because we have more of a "feel" for what her bg rhythms are during the school day.

I don't see much downside, other than the occasional work meeting that is interrupted by a Dexcom beep. But it's a small price to pay!

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Really helpful information on how you use the G5, thank you Snowflake! Its so helpful to hear other peoples situation, how they use it, and picture yourself in it! Really appreciate the share!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have a teen, so all she uses is the phone. I'm friends with one of the past nurses and she said she would have loved having share as it would have allowed her to be proactive with treatment. Also would have helped her with dosing in situations such as PE after lunch etc. Share also allows me to give her more freedom, which allows us a bit more ourselves!

I probably would not have used the receiver when she was young. I hardly ever use it now, in fact my daughter left hers sitting on the counter. Other daughter just keeps hers in the pouch on her kit.

5. barbiduleny

barbiduleny Approved members

Our Son was diagnosed a little over a year ago, so we went directly to G5 when we got it last year (it had just been approved for pediatric use here in the US) . After a few months, we got a cheap used iphone 5c, added a line to our plan and completely stopped using the receiver. As he's in school for a big chunk of the day, both my wife and I can monitor his ups and downs through the share app and text the teachers to adjust him as needed (ie quick juice fix when he's low and correction when he's trending high).
    At this point, I am really wondering what we'd do without it. The only downside i would say is the potential for data overload and getting a bit obsessed with tracking the numbers, we've have had to learn to let go a bit, stop constantly monitoring and rely on the alarms when action needs to be taken...