- advertisement -

Dexcom G5 Approval!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

The problem that I have with this idea is that my son's receiver could pick up his transmitter from a lot further than his phone could pick up his receiver, so he could have both his receiver and phone sitting maybe 50 feet away. Now he just needs a phone, but he will need to be closer to it. Obviously all of that can be improved, but he will need to bring a phone to PE class to get readings instead of having a smaller receiver on a belt.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Just put in for my upgrade. Since I literally just ordered a new transmitter, I'm eligible for a free upgrade. They send 2 transmitters for the upgrade because they're only anticipated to last 3 months, versus the old 6 month G4 transmitters. The Share receiver is a software update to a receiver that works with G5. So Theo's Dad Joe- your son could still take only his reliever to gym with him.

My biggest sadness is that it won't work with the Vibe also. It would have been nice to keep the Vibe reading from the same transmitter as well for times when I wanted a waterproof Dexcom, like kayaking.

4. Theo's dad Joe

So the transmitter will send to a receiver which can share, or to a phone directly which can also share? That is great. A rep explained that they were just eliminating the need for a receiver so the transmitter could go straight to a phone.

But if you use the phone only for a while, will it store the data for download, and will it give those data points back to the receiver when they come back in range?

I'd also like to be able to set the receiver to give different alarms, or vibrations for different situations. I don't think my son needs a loud alert when his sensor is getting close to replacement and he's at school.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son just got a new transmitter...so we are up for free upgrade too? I hope so, I assumed you had to have purchased a receiver AND a transmitter to qualify.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I purchased my receiver in June, so I wasn't expecting it to say I was eligible for a free upgrade when I clicked the upgrade link. I wanted to see the price to upgrade. So it was a happy surprise.

Joe- I believe the receiver is now an optional component that will function as before when used. I believe it will store data and send that data to the phone when the phone is back in range. I don't understand how calibrations will work now. If you calibrate on the phone, then turn the receiver on for gym class- will in know the latest calibrations? That I don't know.

7. Theo's dad Joe

If the receiver and the phone can both send to the cloud, shouldn't they be able to communicate that way too?