- advertisement -

Dexcom G4

Discussion in 'Canada' started by AliciaM, Aug 14, 2013.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

So I have been in contact with a Dexcom Canada Rep. He says the G4 will be launched mid september and a verification process like Animas has will be set up so that they will contact your insurance to see if they will cover and set everything up with your endo as well etc. I have ODSP and coverage through the bank (manulife) and I have no idea if the CGM will be covered but if its not I'm just going to pay out of pocket for it since I feel like its a very good tool to have especially for myself I don't feel lows.

Just wanted to give that information to anyone who was wondering :)

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

thanks for posting :)

3. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

That's great news! Do you know if it'll be available for pediatric use in Canada (my DS is 8 years old)?

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Probably not, but your endo should be able to write the rx anyhow.

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Hmmmm, mid-Sep. tomorrow. Anyone heard any news?

6. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

I sent Dexcom an email on August 28, and got the following reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We are currently in negotiations with a distributor who will be handling all of the Canada accounts. Once we have finalized the contract we will have someone contact you immediately.

So, no definite timeline, but hopefully some progress. I'll be asking our endo about it at our next appointment mid October. I'm hoping that the reps will get in touch with the clinics first.

7. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I was told I could start looking into pumps now instead of later so that I won't have to research come june I can just choose which one I want. Met with my areas animas rep this morning and I was apparently the first one to find out that Nov 25th is the Launch and roll out date for stand alone dexcom unit.

He also was telling me about the vibe and that by the time I qualify for ADP to pay for a pump that the vibe would probably be out. I actually would rather have the meter remote and the remote for the dex be separate so I wouldn't get the vibe anyway but I guess its good for people who want less bulk.

8. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Did you get your dexcom covered???

9. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Hello, my daughter is 4 years old and I would really LOVE to have the CGM for her. So if I am able to get a rx from my Endo, I can get a Dexcom G4 for her?

10. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

I'd contact Animas (Who distributes Dexcom in Canada) firs. They contacted my insurance, then requested a dexcom from my Endo for us (its technically not approved for kids in canada, so you need like a letter stating you know that, they still recommend it... blah blah!)

They did all the rest of the work. :)

11. mo779

mo779 Approved members

Has anyone in Ontario had any luck getting the Dexcom covered by their insurance???

12. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

We did. Manulife! 100%. Had animas send in a quote, and a doctors letter, and they approved it.

13. mo779

mo779 Approved members

God I hope we get lucky too. Right now, we're n the process of getting the doctors approval sent to Animas. Our insurance is Great West Life. Fingers crossed!!

14. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I haven't been on here in forever! I would have got it covered by Manulife but I left my work and am now back but not permanent so no benefits :( so paying out of pocket..which stinkssss but it's amazing so it's worth it.