- advertisement -

Dexcom G4 vs G5 Feedback

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jul 27, 2016.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We initially resisted the switch to G5 because the reviews post launch weren't great. I remember many complaining about poor reception. I haven't been keeping up with comparisons since and was hoping for some feedback. My son lost the G4 transmitter today at the pool so it may be a good time to switch. So what do you think? In your experience is it worth switching to G5 from G4? Thanks for any feedback.

David

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I personally LOVE it but the main advantage to me is that I always have my iphone with me. If your son doesn't always carry an iphone you lose that advantage. The transmitter lasts only 3 months. I have also had multiple back up transmitters not function when I attempted to connect them. If you are ever spending an extended period of time outside of the US this may be an issue. If you are only switching out transmitters in the US it wouldn't be an issue. I have had zero reception issues. The transmitter is slightly larger than the thin G4 transmitter but it doesn't bother me. Overall, having one less device to keep track of and charge is worth it to me but I think considering the cost of 4 transmitters per year vs. one you have to look at your insurance coverage.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Thanks Meg. I can definitely see how not having the extra device is a big bonus but that's not a consideration for us as of yet. We definitely want him carrying the receiver as well because he does not do a great job keeping the phone charged. Relying solely on the phone makes me a bit nervous. He's not the responsible type and I don't want to give him another excuse (battery died, oops) not to have a BG number.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

This, exactly :) I love my G5, and wouldn't want to go back to the G4, but I didn't have a G4 w/ share.

I haven't personally had any issues with reception - around my house (through walls) it doesn't get much more than ~15 feet, but when I'm skating, I usually leave my phone on the boards with my other stuff and I rarely miss a reading.... depending on where I am on the ice at any given moment I can be up to 100 feet away (and my pebble keeps working just as well - I still get notifications on it that far away).... but it's wide open space with a roof and I think that really helps - I wouldn't expect that same kind of range outside, for example. Most of the time, unless I'm at home or at the rink, I have my phone on me.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm still on the G4 waiting for the transmitter to die and my son has been on G5 for 6 months. No reception issues for him at all. We ended up buying him a phone case with an extra battery booster so there is no excuse for an uncharged phone. That really helped. He charges it at night and with the new phone case it lasts easily the whole day and more.

The only con is that the transmitters die at 3 months exactly. I really don't like that.

6. samson

samson Approved members

Our son uses G5 and carries his iPhone around with him at preschool. We often have reception issues, as well as others. Today he "butt-dialed" his Share service to off, so we received no data for two hours. We're debating switching to G4 with share and using multiple receivers in the building so that we can always have data and he doesn't have to carry the phone with him.

7. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I don't have an Iphone so I don't have the G5. I use the Tandem T:slim G4 pump so I don't have to carry the Dexcom receiver, I only carry one device. Right now I don't believe you can use share on it. I don know that Tandem is beginning a limited software update on the older models on the T:slim pumps. I don't know if the newer models, like mine will be able to use the share or if they'll be able to handle the G5.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter uses G5. When she initially switched, she thought she would carry the receiver at school (because she was embarrassed at the concept of her phone making noise at school - she has special permission to carry her phone; other kids must keep theirs in their locker). We upgraded her G4 receiver to G5 software and immediately had connection issues. The receiver would say out of range when it was right there next to her. Even when the signal appeared to be "locked in"; the range was also reduced. I used to be able to keep the receiver in the bathroom that shares a wall with her bedroom. Once we upgraded the receiver, it would lose signal through that wall.

The funny thing is - her phone never loses signal. So, she quickly switched to using her phone as her receiver exclusively and she's never looked back. We have had no problems using the phone as her receiver and are very happy with the G5.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Same here. We almost exclusively rely on share now.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We switched from G5 and really like it. I got G5 receivers so they could use them in sports without carrying the phone, rarely used though.

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

You will still need a phone to see data remotely. Unless you mean having each of his providers see his number in each room of preschool?

12. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

We are waiting for G6!!:)

13. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We have had G5 since March and it is our first dexcom. My son is 13 and uses his receiver at school but has used his phone most of the summer. His phone does seem to have better range, especially through our walls (some of them are cement block). I think his phone has even picked him up when he is outside.

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I suspect there will always be a G6, 7, 8, etc. just around the corner, so why wait?

Yet another thing to love about Dexcom: those folks are perpetually striving to improve this already amazing system!

15. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

We really like the G5 but he wears his phone on a spibelt so we have had zero issues. If anything, his receiver has signal issues more than the phone. We definitely have less ??? and timers with the G5 than we did with the G4. We switched back in April and would never go back!