- advertisement -

Dexcom G4 startup ?s

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Mar 28, 2013.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi All,

Our Dexcom G4 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!!!! Hooray!!

This is our first experience with CGM, and Dexcom won't sent a rep to teach us how to use it (because it's off label, I guess?), and DD's D-team is only familiar with Medtronic's CGM, so they said they said they could help us with general CGMing questions, but for particulars regarding the Dexcom, I would just have to go through their (Dexcom's) self-training process. I have watched all of their online tutorials and some insertion videos on YouTube, so I think we'll manage, but...

I am just wondering, will we just jump right in to normal life with it, or does it take a few days to get a handle on it? I want to start right away tomorrow, so I can start to get some better sleep in the near future, and so I will have a handle on it before DD goes back to school with it on Monday; but SHE wants to have her best buddy spend the night tomorrow night. Is this do-able, or is it crazy? I said I would get on CWD and ask the experts!! :)

Also, how did others handle their child going back to school with it? We don't have a 504. So far, we just negotiate for what we want with the school and we all come up with a plan we feel comfortable with. (I'm actually thinking of asking for a 504, but that's a whole other thread.) But, I don't know how I feel about waltzing in there with it on Monday without any word of warning. Well, they know we have been trying to get a CGM for DD, but they don't have any clue that she'll be showing up with it on Monday morning! (I didn't know the process would go so fast, or I would have prepared them before Spring break.)

I would love to know how others have handled it.

Thank you so much!
    ~Anna

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We didn't have any training just watched the videos. I put the directions out to follow along when we did the first one. Getting the transmitter on was a bit tricky for me but I think I was doing it wrong at first.

My kiddos 17 but we didn't tell the school anything she just keeps it in her pocket on vibrate. She had it on her desk and one of her teachers thought it was an ipod, when she said it was for her diabetes he said fine.

We just put it on her, calibrated when asked after two hours and it worked great. I think you'll be fine starting it now.

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My 2 cents

We did not undergo Dexcom training, though we had attended Medtronic CGM training before. I felt we could handle it. Really - it is just the insertion. Watch the videos a few times. There really isn't much else to learn - you just see the graphs and set your alarms.

Go for it!

My son is only 5 - so I sent a note to his teacher just to say that he was wearing a new piece of equipment and if it alarmed, or he notified her that he should go to the nurse. You might just want to give the teachers a heads-up and so they know if they are looking at the RECEIVER it is a medical device and not an IPOD. I am a teacher - so we usually confiscate phones and ipods and stuff.

I would make the nurse aware that your child may have to visit if the alarm went off - and I just send some basic information to the nurse so she would know what was going on.

STILL fingerstick before meals and at lows, though. BEcause they are not always right on. Sometimes it is exact and other times - a litle off.

You will love it! Mine woke me up twice in one night for lows that I never would have caught before ! My son sleeps two rooms away and it still reads on my nightstand.

Good luck!

4. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Thank you for the responses and reassurance! So, a sleepover on the first night might not be so bad after all! :)