- advertisement -

Dexcom g4 sites for a 3 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, Feb 9, 2013.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

Yippee! We are getting the g4!!! We have a Medtronic Revel and tried the Medtronic CGM but found the insertion to be a lot for a 2 year old and we didn't have a lot of real estate with her pump sites and cgm. We are hoping the g4 insertion is a bit easier for a little one to take. However, are still concerned about real estate. We put her pump sites on her "love handles" and around her sides.

Where do find your kiddo wears a CGM most comfortably? Do you find some places have more accuracy than others? Thanks!!

2. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

We've been using our little guys arms exclusively for cgm sites and use upper buttock and thighs for pump sites. You're going to love the Dex4!

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have always only used the stomach.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

arms and thighs we find are the best.

We have tried the butt, but, did not get good readings, at least with the seven+.

tried tummy a few times, but she couldn't stand the feeling there, can't do pump site there either.

5. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

We do exclusively arms. We initially tried thighs and stomach, but sensors either failed or went on prolonged ???. Our son just doesn't have enough fat there. Arms work really good for us.

6. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

Thats what I was thinking ... arms. Ok so do you do the back of the arm? It says to insert so it is horizontal -- do you find enough room?

7. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

When we insert in the arms we insert vertically with the wire at the top. We also reinforce the tape with Hypafix which we cut a hole in the center of for the sensor. We made a template. We are able to restart our sensors and generaly get 16-19 days from each sensor. We change out the Hypafix tape as it becomes loose or dirty.

8. William

William Approved members

Yes, the fleshy back of the arm. Our son is 3 and we have been using the back of the arm since he was 17 months of age. Vertically with wire at top and we pinch up some too. (We use thighs and top of his rear cheeks for his pump sites).

We put a little lidocaine on first covered with tegaderm for about 40 minutes. He does not feel a thing but make sure you wipe/clean the lidocaine off.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

I am an adult here who can only use arms for CGMS sites. Do you all think it is the fat in the areas you are trying or the fact that thighs get rubbed a bunch from clothes and exercised a bunch and tummys get a bunch of bending and clothes rubbing so that neither site works so well? I can not quite figure out why the CGMS sites only work for me on my arms but work for others on their tummys and thighs? I always wonder if I am just not taping or inserting the right way?? I really am just asking for any thoughts as like most of you I am trying to preserve real estate with both pump and CGMS sites, and in my case trying to do this after 40 years of being a T1. You all have kids with T1 who are so much smaller than me. I am a 112 pounds and 5'4 so way bigger than your kids. :cwds::)ali

10. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

Mom of a 6 year old--we use belly exclusively for the G4 and butt for his ping site.

11. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

We also use arms for our 3 yr old. But we use front, back, and sides of arms. We insert with wire up or wire down. Makes no difference for readings and it gives a little more room to work with.

Enjoy!