- advertisement -

Dexcom Earnings Call

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megnyc, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

There is excellent info in Dexcom's latest earnings call about their future plans.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/181...-2013-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=4

It sounds like they are moving forward very quickly on both the "share" and pediatric labeling.

ETA:
    It still looks like any dex integration is far away :( Apparently, Animas isn't even going to respond to the latest round of FDA questions until the end of January and tandem will not be submitting by year end as previously planned.

2. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Thanks for the post. My son is 12 and it will be interesting to see what technology will be utilized by the time he is on his own. I wish the companies could work on one goal a better product. It is wishful thinking.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I guess I must have gotten onto some kind of list when I read last quarter's transcript because I got an email last evening that the latest transcript was online and I read through it too.

I was disappointed to read that Tandem had put it's FDA submission on the back burner a little so it could work on its IPO, but that's business.

Personally, I wish they had gone into more details about Share's incarnation and the pricing of it because if my daughter decides to wear the dex consistently, we could really use it at night due to our house configuration. There's clearly going to be some kind of subscription fee in addition to the hardware purchase - whether it's a one time app purchase, or a periodic fee (annual, quarterly, monthly). I'd like to know more!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Thanks for posting, Meg! Their earnings calls are always very informative. I have to admit that I remain baffled as to why integration with Animas is taking so very, very, very long.

I hope Dex gets pediatric approval soon. That should give them a large revenue boost, which in turn should hopefully help them to move their R&D along. I can't help thinking about what they could do with the sort of money that Medtronic has.

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Thank you for the informative and interesting post, Megnyc!

This excerpt sums up Dexcom's objectives well:

* We continue to believe that simplicity, patient convenience and expanded connectivity paired with our superior sensor technology will enable us to maintain our leadership position in the CGM market.

However, while Medtronic does have inferior sensor technology, I do not appreciate what the CEO had to say.

If Dexcom wants to have leadership in this market, they will have to invest in other technologies besides amperometric glucose sensors, which are currently the only FDA-approved sensors available on the market, due to the lag, which will never truly be compensated for with predictive models. Market partnerships are key, and Dexcom should be pressuring these pump companies to actively finish their applications. Dexcom should have time-conditions set in those contracts, for responding to the FDA, if possible (but I am no lawyer, keep this in mind).

So far for me, as an individual who has tried out all of the brands (7+, G4, Navigator, SofSensor--going to try out Enlite soon), the Navigator was the most accurate.

I have digestive issues due to a rare form of autonomic failure (not diabetes-related) that makes me susceptible to dehydration. I have found the both generations of the Dexcom unreliable due to my hydration issues. I encounter similar problems with Medtronic's SofSensors, but at least I get output of numbers and no ??? output, so I have more data to figure out what is going on.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

More useful dexcom info here:
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/183...-healthcare-conference-transcript?part=single

One entertaining quote and one on the dex "share":

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

It kind of doesn't make sense to me that the FDA has to approve the share. It's just an add on that re-transmits what comes from the receiver. To me it seems like putting an after market stereo in your car. It's not doing anything medical.

Also sort of sucks that it's apple only as we're android folks.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I thought the share would be good, but now I'm not so sure. I didn't count on needing another smartphone for it to work. I thought the cradle would somehow work with wifi.

I think it would make it too expensive. We'd need another phone line with a data package - so probably at least $40 a month. If it were an adult or someone who already had a smartphone that would be fine. Unfortunately, I had that discussion with myself and went with a non smart phone for my daughter in June and her line won't be eligible for an upgrade until 2015.

When the G5 comes out and she can use a smartphone in lieu of receiver and likely "share" the data with my smartphone - she'll probably be upgrade eligible and we'll go with a smartphone for her.

ETA - if I could use my smartphone (although it's Android), and port to a tablet, that would work.