- advertisement -

Dexcom...does it give any notice before it dies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Mish

Mish Approved members

I tried to order one through edgepark since we are at 6 months and I wanted to make sure we didn't have interruptions but they were required by insurance to get a new approval and RX. Weird. But it's in process.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

See, that is what I would worry about if I waited until I got the warning that the transmitter is about to die. I am admittedly way too dependant on the CGM, but I would not want to be without it for a week while it wound its way through our insurance process. (Especially considering that it took two freaking months to get the Dex in the first place!)

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I got my first one thru edgepark and they ran the transmitter thru for 1 every 6 months, instead of 2 every 12 months like I thought they should have done that would have allowed for getting the second within a year. They were required becausethe originall RX was expired already. (I think they did it that way to get 2 copays.)

4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Edgepark just told me they can send me out a new one (didn't ask if mine died yet) but they have to get approval again from both Endo and our insurance. He said by next week. We're going away the 27th and he said he'd put a rush on it, so I don't know what the time frame would have been otherwise. I said I thought the original approval included 2 transmitters and he said yes, but that approval expired in February (2 months after we got the system...).

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If the warranty is for 6 months, it doesn't surprise me that the transmitter would last longer. Mine is between 6 and 7 months right now. It's supposed to give you an alarm when it has one week of life left.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

That's exactly what happened with us. I also thought the original approval included 2 transmitters but I learned that our first approval expired in March, 3 months after we got the system.

I was given roughly the same time frame, though without a rush.

7. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I called Edgepark at the 6 months mark of the shipping of the first transmitter and told them it had been acting wonky :p and I need a new one. It took more than a week for me to receive it, which would have meant that we would have been without a working dex for a few days.......that won't happen now. The old one is still going strong, but since we are traveling quiet a bit this summer, I am sure we will have a working transmitter :D

8. dianas

dianas Approved members

I've chosen to wait and order my transmitter even though I am very dependent on my cgms but I also have a copay for every transmitter and cgms component. 9 months vs 6 months saves me one whole copay every 18 months so it's worthwhile financially to wait. The other issue is if these accidentally start transmitting on the shelf there's no going back and I'd rather have something like that come out of Dexcom's pocket than mine. I'm also an adult not a child which makes a huge difference.

9. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

We are almost to 9 months on ours and still going strong. I talked to Dexcom and they said you will get an alert to replace and you have about one week before it dies. I went ahead and ordered another and it is sitting with her supplies. As long as we don't remove it from the magnet, the 6 month countdown wont begin. We have maxed out our out of pocket for insurance so it was a no brainer to go ahead and have the back ready. We did not need a new script and had no problems with coverage.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Ours is also 9 months and going strong, but our new one arrived yesterday so that we have it when needed.