- advertisement -

Dexcom...does it give any notice before it dies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know that in August we will be at the 6 month mark on the Dex. So here is my question. When it is time to replace the sensor, does it give any warning, or will it just up and die? LOL, I am so used to it I know I will be lost without it for even a few days!

2. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We're in our 8th month and so far no warning signs. I'm wondering the same thing.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we are 8 or 9 months in and no sign yet. (but I have a second one and alternate with it so not as much use.)

4. Beach bum

Interesting. The expected life of it is only 6 months, correct?

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yes, 6 months. I really can not recall anyone saying thier died yet? I know my Dexcom7+ that is 4 1/2 years old still worked that last time I used the system.

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Just passed our 8 month mark!

I believe there is a message that says 'replace transmitter now' which should be done within 1 week of receiving message.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I was at Dexcom last week because I lost the darn transmitter and needed to pick up a new one. The receptionist was telling me that they beep when they die. I'd never heard this and I think she was confused.

My understanding was you'd get the battery low alert when it was time to order a new one.

And of course I found the darn thing as soon as I'd taken the new one out of the box and activated it. Ugh.

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Few days???!!! Those two hours every week are unbearable! :D

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes and since we have new insurance this year I did order a new one at about the 4month mark so I have 2 to swich between and not hopefully have a gap!

10. Beach bum

I know! We live at the beach so 70% of our day is spent in the water. It kills me to have all the interruptions from being in water!

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Is there anything that would prevent you from just ordering one at the 6 month point, even if it hasn't given you the warning at that point?

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We had different insurance, but I don't see why not, unless there is some sort of code you have to tell them?

Has anyone heard of one actually giving a warning to replace it ?

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I tried to order one about a month ago as we were at the 7 month mark. Dexcom didn't want to fill the order until the warning appears, but I'm going to try again. I want the new one as back-up before my daughter leaves for camp, just in case.

I was told once the warning appears, they will ship the new one within 24 hours.

14. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My understanding is some insurance companies are not wanting to cover until the transmitter completely dies.

We're at 8 months & started getting a lot of data gaps a few weeks ago. So far, we're only getting replacement sensors. We had a 3 1/2 hour signal loss today. Another sensor on it's way....this is 4 so far.

ETA: This blog post is why I started calling about the gaps. I still don't know if it's the transmitter dying or sensors nearing expiration. Dexcom seems to think it's a sensor problem because our battery status is still "ok."

http://www.diabeticadvocate.com/2013/06/dexcom-g4-dont-forget-about-transmitter.html

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  15. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

When we did training the Dexcom rep said the life of the transmitter was supposed to be 6 months but most people were getting 9.

16. Beach bum

Hmmmm. Do you need to give any type of alarm message code (kind of like the pump)? My thought is that if we are in a position where we are going out of town or something and the thing is still running fine after 6 months, yet are concerned that it may die, then I would just call them and tell them it died.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I wouldn't have any qualms about telling them that I got the "pre death message."

18. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I had to call Edgepark to get the new one. They did not ask if I received any error messages; they saw it was past the 6 month mark and sent a new one. Guess it depends on your insurance.

19. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

What does the "okay" status change to anyway?

20. Diana

Diana Approved members

Well... we are going on 9 months and still going strong.

We already have the replacement transmitter. Our insurance insisted on sending one out around the 5 1/2 month mark so we wouldn't be without it for even a day!