- advertisement -

Dexcom died, just weeks out of warranty

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashleesmommy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

This is the second system my daughter has had. Coincidentally (or is it?) her 1st one died with an "internal hardware issue" I would say within a week after warranty was up. I had a different insurance company then. So then our insurance changed to UMR (united) so we purchased the new system through them, which was covered at 90%. Now this one died with another internal hardware issue, once again, within weeks (if that) after warranty was up. Now, insurance coverage states she's only eligable for 1 in a lifetime!! Same goes for the pump. How ridiculous is that?? I wrote up a letter to send along with her letter of medical necessity from 2 years ago to fight them on this. Has anyone had this happen and what did you have to do?? Also, it seems so strange to me that this dexcom system only works for such a short period of time!!! Is this their way to make money. I told them that they probably program them to die after a certain time period, lol!! Ashlee's nurse said I should check into it on the better business bureau to see if this happens frequently.
    Thanks for any advise!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't know what to say. I have 3 working systems, because I get a new one each year, since my coinsurance and deductables have doubled each year. Now I do have to say that we had two reveivers replaced because of some sort of problem, but I have not had any issues in over 18 moonths.

We have United and they cover a new one every year under "Diabetic supplies" not just DME. So have you had your endo write a new RX and have dexcom try to put it threw or did you just ask insurance what your coverage is?

3. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Apria, the supplier, contacted the insurance company, and they told her that information. So then I called and they told me the same thing. I just wonder if they are somehow translating it wrong. She told me the best thing to do was to fax them a letter stating that it is medically necessary. This can take up to 30 days for them to review it! I can't imagine not having it for so long!! :(

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

DO you have a local CDE or somone at the endo office that can loan you one until it is figured out? maybe a Dexcom rep?

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would call Dexcom directly and start over with them, I would think that they would want to keep a happy customer, just explain that the supplier and you have called and something must be missing.

i just can not see how they could only cover it 1 in lifetime when it is not warrentied for a lifetime and most insurance "diabetes supplies" are excluded from the yearly or lifetime caps.

6. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

WOAH , she only gets ONE pump in her WHOLE life???
    for the next 70 -90 years they expect her to use the same pump???
    SERIOUSLY?

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Many manufacturers of a large variety of products will honor a warranty after the precise end of warranty date. I'd suggest you contact the company directly asap. A well made product should not fail after one year, and a pump should last many years. Worse case, they say no.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have United and they have purchased three over the last three years.