- advertisement -

dexcom cgm

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Dec 10, 2013.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Hey guys. So, my endo and I discussed the cgm at my last visit a few weeks ago and she thinks it would really help with the hypos I don't feel. Especially when I cheer and do sports/activities. Filled out the necessary paperwork/got a letter but insurance doesn't cover the cgm. I am doing extra hours coaching and stuff like that to put into my savings to save up for it but its still expensive. I set up a go fund me page as well to help with the costs for the starter kit which is $1840.

I really don't need negative comments on the post so if you have something that is not relevant or doesn't help me please don't feel the need to say something rude.

If you can help me out than great if not thanks for reading and have an excellent day :)

http://www.gofundme.com/5gr9vo

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't know how heath care works there, but there are more than a handfull from Canada on the Dexcom.

I hope one of them might be able to help you make sure you have looked at any other options for such a great device.

I beleive that it would be a great tool and hope that you do find the resources that you need to make it happen in a timely manner.

Good luck.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Can you clarify what it is that you'd like us to do?

You've told us what we cannot do, but I'm unsure of the ground rules for what we can say.

Is it donations from us that you seek?

4. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

It would be great if you can donate or let me know some other fundraising ideas. Right now I'm babysitting, taking extra hours at my cheer gym coaching, and trying to figure out if I need everything I own or if I can sell some stuff on kijiji.

I've talked to a few people who are on the dexcom and some of them have had their insurance pay for it but most have had to pay out of pocket for it. My endo has already written a letter of medical need and filled out the forms for the dex and insurance said no. So only other option is paying for it myself which is fine..I just don't have the funds right now to do so.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Considering we are all in the same boat of having to pay for diabetes supplies one way or the other, your best bet would be to go to local charities like the Lions Club or similar in Canada. These associations usually can help out a bit.

6. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

thanks I'll look into that.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

This^.

It may seem like people in the US get everything paid for by insurance but we pay very high insurance premiums every month ($400 a month just for me) and then typically a % of the cost of medical care. There are also no government programs in place to pay for insulin pumps so we typically pay $2k (20-30% coinsurance) every four years for a pump. So yeah, we are all in the same boat.

One thing to keep in mind is that the dexcom transmitter only has a 6 month warranty and that the sensors are an ongoing expense. The medtronic veo may be a better option for you since I believe that it comes with a free transmitter and 5 sensors in canada. The medtronic transmitters last forever and you would have no receiver costs. You can also get the sof-sensors from people who don't use them anymore once you run out of the enlite sensors. There are plenty of people, myself included, who have had a great deal of success with the medtronic system. It is quirky but with careful calibration most people can get good to great accuracy.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013