- advertisement -

Dexcom CGM vs medtronic enlite

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

So my dd has finally decided she would like to try a cgm again (yay!) Her diabetes rollercoaster is starting to get to her - takes her longer to recover from lows and highs, and her sleep is so interrupted due to night checks. We are leaning toward the dexcom even though she has the medtronic revel. Hearing that it has better accuracy, longer wear time, and the fact that the receiver can be nearby and we dont have to pull out her pump, plus the dexshare, its in the lead big time! I am looking for input on whatelse we should be looking at as far as cgm, and I had a question about the software 505. It says it is only for users 18 years and older - can parents download it?
    Any other info would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

You can get a script the adult receiver as "off label" and you will get the receiver with the 505 software already in it. I think they are working on getting the software approved for the pediatric receiver soon.
    The Dexcom share is very cool. I have no complaints (as unbelievable as that may seem!)
    I think many people here also have good success with nightscout, so you may want to look into that as an alternative. The share requires also no tech skills to get up and running.

3. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

My dd has worn both the MM and the Dex. She far prefers the Dex insertion (we still use numbing cream), and I far prefer the Dex performance - not even close. We don't use any of the software at this point, but just being able to see where she is, where she's been, and what direction she's heading is a game changer. Good luck!

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

No experience with Minimed, but we've been using a Dexcom for 6 years now and absolutely love it.

If you do go with Dexcom, before buying the Share, check out the Facebook group "CGM in the Cloud." For minimal start up cost, you can have an even better monitoring system than the Share will give you.

5. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Love love love our Dexcom and Dexcom Share!!! Another mom I know has used both Dexcom and Medtronic CGMs and said it is not even close. Dexcom blows the competition out of the water.

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

This has not been our experience. Actually we have tied both and the medtronic enlite with 530G was more accurate for my dd. Yes, even with the 505 software.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  7. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

You may have already made a decision as to the enlite vs. Dexcom. We have experienced both, so here are my pluses and minuses. My son (age 7) has been using the Dexcom for 2 years (we use t-slim pump).

My husband (type 1 - age 45) used the Dexcom for 2 years and JUST started the enlites about a month ago when he got the new medtronic pump. He wanted to try using the integrated system. While I don't use it myself, these are a few observations I had. I favor the Dexcom myself:

+ for enlite

integrated system - only one device/pump
    good graph on screen
    auto shut-off if you continue to ignore low alarms (will shut off pump delivery for 2 hours - you can push the button to restart)

- for enlite

Harder to do insertion (my opinion since I do all the sensor changes on arms for both son and husband)
    must charge transmitter between each sensor change
    alarms are not as loud as dexcom - my husband can sleep through them and they are not adjustable
    alarms go off all the time for predicted low, low, predicted high, high, blood glucose check (need to turn some of these off)
    will STOP giving readings if you don't calibrate when prompted (doesn't happen with Dex) - this is quite annoying
    screen is not in-color like Dexcom

Hope this helps. I would say if you have the new minimed pump, see if they will send you some enlite sensors just to try. That is the best way to find out.

Hope this helps.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I think the age of the wearer will make a difference of whether you want an integrated /one device only system. We have an Animas Vibe pump but also have a Dex receiver.. we need both. My daughter is happy to not have to carry receiver at school/while out etc but I wouldn't be without it at night. I love just glancing at the receiver rather than digging out the pump.

9. Grinch

Grinch New Member

My 8 year old DD wore the Medtronic enlite for about a year. She's very thin and so finding a place to put it on her body was tough. About the only place we could put the enlite sensor was near the top of her behind. We frequently had problems with the sensors getting bent/crunched and not working. We had a lot of accuracy issues with it and tons of false alarms. I've met two pediatric endos now that have T1D. Both have worn the enlite and both currently wear the dexcom...that was my first clue that I chose poorly when going with the enlite. Anyway, I found myself on the help line with Medtronic at 2 am one time trying to work an issue. I asked for a replacement sensor since I had gone through 3 of them in a row in about 2 days. Eventually the tech helper asked me where the insertion site was. I told him where and he said Medtronic would not send a replacement because it was not an approved sight.

Guess what, the Dexcom is approved for use there.

And don't even get me started on the nightscout. Talk about game-changer. We hooked her dexcom receiver to a moto-G cell phone and got everything going with nightscout and now my wife and I can see what her CGM is reporting...so long as her dexcom receiver/cell phone are within about 50 feet of her. It's been quite helpful...calling the school nurse to ask her to check our DD's sugar etc.

If you're on facebook ask to join the group CGM in the cloud to learn all about nightscout.

The one downside I see is that with the enlite/Medtronic 530G minimed pump/CGM combo you get the threshold suspend feature. There was one night where my DD's low CGM alarm did not wake us. I woke up on my own about 3 am out of habit only to find her in her bed with her pump in threshold suspend, beeping - along with the message "help! I have diabetes. Please call 911" or something like that on the screen. She had been in threshold suspend for something like 40 minutes. The pump ceases giving all insulin in this mode. I was horrified. Turned out she was fine but when we switched to the dexcom then by definition we were giving up the threshold suspend feature.

I highly recommend the Dexcom.

10. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Thank you for the input! We decided to go with the dexcom, dd did have medtronic sensor prior to enlite and hated that alarms didnt wake her. Also not fun playing find the pump at night. Looking forward to using the dexcom share and mb getting some sleep!

11. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Yes - you are correct. When the Medtronic goes into low threshold suspend based on the Enlite readings (and after low alarms have not been responded to) - the screen has a message that says HELP I HAVE DIABETES. CALL 911.

That is one of the strangest things I have ever seen! I suppose if you lived alone or were a college student - this might be a good idea, but it is a little wierd.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our experience too. We currently use Enlite and Dexcom G4. Two teen kids with type 1. I cannot see anymore accuracy with the Dexcom G4 in our experience. Sometimes the Enlite is more close to BG in morning. I can't say on tracking , the Dexcom could be faster at that for fast drops.
    We have had several Threshold suspends on 530g and very accurate for us. Last one on Friday at endo office.

13. Ali

Ali Approved members

Just curious. Had your Endo ever seen the threshold suspend feature kick in on a "real regular person"?
    Ali