- advertisement -

Dexcom calibration question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ianmom, May 14, 2010.

1. ianmom

ianmom Approved members

We are new to Dex and have only used it for a week, which went very well. My son who's about to turn 15, pretty much managed it on his own. One thing he mentioned to me that I'm hoping you can clear up is that when it asked him to enter bg every 12 hours, even after the initial start up, it asked him to enter 2 bg readings. I thought it only asked for 2 readings at start up, not every time you calibrate. Any insight?

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Something is wrong, you should call Dexcom. The only time you should be asked for 2 readings is at 2 hours. Otherwise it is only 1.

3. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We normally only are required to enter in one blood sugar for calibration after the initial start up BUT we have, once or twice, been asked for a second reading/calibration if Dex does not like the number we had entered, if it was way off from what the Dex was saying.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If the nubers are way off, like over 20% difference then sometimes it will ask for another number. Also, after the 7 days of wear, you either let it run out and then restart and it thinks it is new and will ask for the 2 cals again. I usually will try to find a good time to stop it early and restart at a convienent time.

Also, if it is not a good time to cal you can just wait until things are a little more steady, but you will have to ignore the the warning.

5. suz

suz Approved members

Yes, we've found if Dex doesn't like the bg we entered (big range) it will ask for another. Once it gets a couple within the same ball park it's usuall happy :)

6. ianmom

ianmom Approved members

Okay, thanks. I am going to tell him it shouldn't ask for a second bg unless there's a big difference from it's reading and the meter's.