- advertisement -

Dexcom arrived - DD's giving it a try

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

The Dexcom arrived yesterday and if you read my older post, I said that I was going to wear the first sensor. My daughter inserted it on me (arm) and while I wouldn't call the insertion painless, it wasn't that bad. I was impressed that once it was in, I couldn't feel it - even when I pressed on it. I think I felt the tape when I moved my arms more than anything.

It was a bit of a bumpy start because I couldn't get the sensor to warm up. It would go out of range after 10 minutes and never come back in range - then we figured out we entered the wrong tansmitter number. Oops. Thanks to this board, I knew I could just stop the sensor and restart it, so I restarted it 2 or 3 times, then when we figured out the issue we stopped, changed the transmitter number and restarted. All was good and no calls to technical support.

I only got to wear it for about 14 hours.

This morning my daughter was looking at my overnight graph and she was itching to get it on herself. So, at 8:15a.m. I took my sensor off and she put on a new one - it should be ready to be calibrated soon. I told her she could look at it, but not to rely on it at all today, not to do anything different at school because of it and to do nothing with any of the alarms besides turn them off - especially after eating - and we would come up with a plan tonight. We'll see how it goes :)

But my "waste" of a sensor really seemed to help. It helped me see that it doesn't hurt that bad (and not at all once it's in) and it it helped her want to wear it. Win-Win.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hope it's the first of many good days with the Dex!

It really is a game changer.;)

3. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Yay! We've had a rough start, but Dexcom has been awesome in helping (and replacing) sensors that don't last the full week. We find that the longer he wears it, the more accurate it is.
    also, it's going to ask for her BG every 12 hours...don't be tempted to put it in more than that because it confuses it :)

Good luck!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

night and day difference.

I hate to say this but I insist that my dd wear a CGM 24/7, it is just that we all feel so much safer whereever she is and it makes thing so much easier to wing it.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I do not find that to be true.

I actually can not remember the last time I actually got a calibration request, because we call when we test BG at home at least 2-3 times a day.

6. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

How exciting! Hope she likes it.

We did have an overcalibration issue with it, too-- but I would recommend just calling them if the numbers are off for you. : )

Good luck!

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

enjoy it! Good luck with it.

We also find we have much better accuracy if we leave calibrations to a minimum. We were also told by the dexcom people that it does get confused when you put too many BGs in there. if it's reading WAY off, we do re calibrate, as long as the bg isn't moving too quickly. Sometimes, just waiting 15 minutes brings it completely back to where it should be. In other words, sometimes the lag on the sensor seems longer than other times. :)

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yay!!!

If you search the forum you should find some very useful info on taping. I know your daughter had issues with sets falling off so it might be useful for you guys to tape the sensor early on so you avoid that issue. I like opsite tape best but you do have a few options you can try.

My only other advice is not to hesitate to call dexcom with any and all issues. They are super helpful and really want you to succeed!

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Thanks everyone! I just got a text that her lunch BG was only one point off of the dex number. Sweet! :D

So is the general consensus to only calibrate when it asks?

It was pretty off first thing this morning for me. It said 155 (I was a little startled), but when I tested my BG it was 88. Would you calibrate if it said that? I did and it reset itself to 108. Why wouldn't it set itself to 88 if that's what I told it I was?

10. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We typically calibrate before breakfast and before dinner. The only other times we will calibrate is if the readings are off by more than 30 or so points.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, I would definitely calibrate in that instance. And our numbers aren't great for the first 12-18 hours after insertion, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that sort of discrepency. We probably calibrate 3 times a day, on average.

I am convinced that the Dex likes to just screw with me, because it never adjusts to the number that I think it should with calibrations. The other day, I did the first cals where you enter the two numbers (we always use two test strips, same blood drop). The cals I entered were something like 102 and 95, and it gave me a first reading of 93. I was like this guy ------> :confused:. And sometimes it just seems stubborn about it for no discernable reason. I've cal'd it before and had it move FARTHER away from the number I enter. Again, --------> :confused:

It's just one of the quirks you learn to live with. It's generally pretty accurate for us, and I can't begin to understand the algorithm, so I don't try. Sometimes if I really think it ignored my calibration, I'll wait 5 minutes and enter the same number again. I'm sure you're not supposed to do that, but I don't care. I'm the boss, dammit! :p

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

What I think it does is actually look at your past history of BG numbers and trends during your present sensor cycle and uses that data to form a ratio (a bit like the old minimed ISIG information) and spits out new sensor data based on those ratios. Not solely bg at this present time. Like if your ratio had been numbers within 3% it's going to turn your current calibration number into a sensor number in that same ratio, regardless of what the sensor is currently reading.

It's probably why we see better accuracy the longer the sensor is in place, because it's learning the correct ratio to use the longer it's on. And it's why if you have a bunch of bad calibrations it seems like it takes forever to get it on track.

Just a guess really.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, but WTF is it doing when it gives me a number below either of the FIRST two calibrations? I honestly don't get that. I can't come up with anything consistent with respect to what it does with those first two readings.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

yeah, I agree, it's WTF most of the time. I wonder if it's also historical based on transmitter as well. Is the transmitter saving info from each session? That might make a tiny bit of sense and might account for the sensor being more accurate, sooner. it's hard for me to judge against MM, but I know that our first 3 days on MM were total crap, but this is only about 12 hours of marginally off numbers. Could it be remembering previous sessions? LIke "ok, when the last sensor stopped you were at xxx and now you're at yyy."

You know me, I just like to continuously try to fit the square peg in the round hole. over. and over. and over. It makes my head hurt that there is no rhyme or reason.