advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexcom announces partnership with Google

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by njswede, Aug 11, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks for posting. Not sure if this is good news or bad but either way, you are right, it will be interesting.

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

On paper it's very good news. For example, it gives them access to Google's Android technology allowing them to build a much smarter device. Also, it allows them access to Google's hardware technology and they can borrow designs used in for example smart watches to help them build devices that are smaller while more powerful.

If you think about it, the only thing in a Dexcom different from a smartwatch or phone is the sensor itself and the software. Everything else could run on a standard Android device platform. This would allow Dexcom to put more resources into developing the sensor, while google worked on the platform.

I can't see any downside to it.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Good points. As long as it works with Apple products as well, I am all for it.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Google has always proven very open to making their products broadly compatible with Apple products. Google Play, Google Books, Google Maps, Google Music, Google Voice, etc, all have apps in the App Store. You can easily sync your Google Calendar with iCal and the iOS calendar app. Same with Gmail contacts. My sister is employed by Google and her work issued computer is a MacBook Pro.

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Hey I hope it works out! There is real capital there, and talk about a way to make a difference.

7. njswede

njswede Approved members

From the press release: "Initial products to be developed under the agreement will focus on minimizing both the cost and size of CGM body worn components. The products will be designed to be disposable, and will be intended for use across all diabetes markets. The goal is to empower more people to control their diabetes with real-time and actionable information by developing a low-cost, small, bandage-sized sensor that is connected to the cloud. By addressing these needs, we believe we will have the platform that can replace finger sticks and become the standard of care."

Daddy likes!

8. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members