- advertisement -

Dexcom and static electricity

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, May 3, 2013.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

I need help. My daughter was at the playground on those plastic slides that gives you a shock constantly. Now the dexcom has the out of range symbol and has had it for over an hour. Any thoughts. Dexcom help line is stumped...

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

That's weird. Both the transmitter and the receiver should be shielded from this sort of stuff.

All you have to do is basically ground the two devices. Just put the transmitter and receiver, individually to metal-like aluminum foil, or even the exterior of your car.

All it needs is to have contact with metal, such as steel.

If this doesn't work, I would try charging the receiver and possibly reseting it.

If none of this works, the electronics could be fried.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

in kinder we had this a few times. there is a hole on the backside for a paperclip to reset. I did that a few times after the receiver would time out on us. Have not had that on the G4 just the 7+.

4. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

Any chance that one side of the transmitter is not snapped in tight? We had the out of range signal for 3 hours once until we found it had become dislodged on on side.

5. Myrahsmom

Myrahsmom New Member

We are having the same issues. It's taken me a while to figure out the its the slide but on Friday I finally realized that what causing the problem She wears Dexie. Transmitter just below her waist belt line. But I'm not sure how to stop this occurring. Don't want to tell her not to slide

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

My mom experienced this on pumps and CGMs in the past, and I wrote a blog post on that a few years ago. The device makers told her they had no idea what the issue was, and that she was probably imagining it. Her solution? Wrap it in a dryer sheet. I thought it was totally strange, but it seemed to do the trick for her.

http://www.thediabeticscornerbooth.com/2010/11/just-wrap-me-in-dryer-sheet.html

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we had the same issue after jumping on the trampoline and going to a bouncy house...the helpline said it shouldn't be an issue but after several (more than five) times of seeing this it seems they might be wrong!
    I'll have to try the drier sheet - but then I'd have to buy some (we use dryer balls!) :)

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wow! Talk about a lightbulb moment.
    I posted a while back about my daughter playing outside and the CGM going out of range even though she had it clipped to her pants. I not realize that the slide on our swing set has always created a bit of static.

Oh and the dryer sheet...totally works. We do it when she skis. It all depends on the material of that years ski pants, so make more static than others.