- advertisement -

Dexcom and Sports

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Haljov2, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

My daughter just started using the dexcom two weeks ago. The first week was great. We had no problems what so ever. The second week has been a complete disaster. The weather here has been very humid this week. My daughter is the catcher for her softball team. We cannot get the sensors to stay on during her games. We are using an iv prep under the dexcom and then putting a tegaderm over it. This doesn't work because she sweats so badly that nothing sticks to her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Mastisol under (leave a small area uncoated for the Dexcom "wire" to go through), Opsite Flexifix over.

3. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

My son plays baseball and sweats quite a bit as well. We put skin tac on first directly on the skin, leaving a whole without skin tac where the sensor actually goes into the skin. This seems to hold pretty well for a week or two. Once we see that start to come up, we put a layer of hypafix over it, again first by applying skin tac and then the hypafix. This has worked very well for us with sensors easily lasting three and four weeks including lots of baseball, tennis and swimming.

4. glko

glko Approved members

For my sweaty soccer player we use either Skin Tac or Mastisol under the DexCom and under his pump site. We didn't find that IV prep did anything to keep more adhesive. We use Opsite over the site around the edges if they start to peel off.

5. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

I try to order all of our supplies from the same company if possible. The company that we use doesn't carry mastisol, but they do carry skin tac. What's the difference? Is one better than the other? Also, they carry the skin tac in wipes and liquid form. Which one is better?

6. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We've only used skin tac so can't compare that to mastisol, I'll let glko comment on what if any difference they have seen.

For the skin tac we always buy the liquid form. I say always, but the bottle we bought three years ago was an 8 oz bottle and despite using it on every insertion set for pump and every dexcom sensor, it is just now only half empty. The downside to the bottle is it is it can spill (experience speaking, it doesn't do much for polished wood). But I'd say from a cost perspective the bottle is a more economical way to go.

7. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We use Tegaderm on our pump sites and Opsite on Dex. I find Opsite to stick much better than Tegaderm. We usually get two weeks out of the Opsite in the new Orleans heat. My daughter did three nights of three hour soccer clinic last week in the 105% heat index. We had no issues. On the other hand, she lost a pump site from sweatiness last week twice with Tegaderm.

8. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

Our skin tac and opsite finally arrived today. She likes to wear the sensors on her upper arms, so I got the opsite in a roll. I tried wrapping it all the way around her arm like a bandage. I'm not going to lie, opsite won the first battle, so I had to cut another piece and try again. The second battle was a close one, but I finally got it wrapped around her arm. It doesn't look pretty, but it seems to be on there pretty good. It wasn't until after I got it wrapped around her arm that it occurred to me that I could have just cut it into two pieces. For those that use the arms, do you use one long piece or multiple smaller pieces?

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I find it best to use 4 smaller pieces, one on the left side, one on the right side, one on the top part and one on the bottom part (if that makes sense). The piece on the top part covers the top of the left and right pieces and the piece on the bottom covers the bottom of them. So it forms a very secure square.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We used the wipes at first, and we think the liquid is more effective, probably because it goes on better. We get the wipes for convenience when we travel.

I have tried both opsite ( clear stuff) and Hypafix (similar to adhesive on sites and sensors). Hypafix stays on him better. It helps to try different things.

Also, for arms, she could try wrapping it with vet wrap (stuff that sticks to itself but not to skin) to hold it on that way. Ds has always used his stomach for dex sensors. Maybe a part of the body that has less movement, clothes rubbing, etc, would be easier.

Good luck! We love dexcom here, so I think it is worth it to figure out how to make it stay on. :)

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is exactly what we do.

12. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

Wrapping it all the way around the arm didn't work for us. It was coming apart by the third inning of her game. I tried fixing it the best I could, but I can see that the sensor itself is starting to come off. Now our receiver is just showing three question marks. I don't even know what else to do at this point. Does that mean that the sensor came out?

13. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

14. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

Her sensor ended up coming off last night. We put the new sensor on her stomach. I wanted to stay away from her stomach for a while because she really over-used it with her pump sites. She recently stated using her legs for pump sites after experimenting at camp. Most of the girls at camp wore their dexcoms on their arms, so we though we would give it a try, but that didn't really work out for us. Hopefully we can figure it out using her stomach and then move on to other areas. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate everyone's help! You guys are awesome :smile:

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

Did you try wrapping the sensor on her arm with Vetrap? That worked great for my son when he wore his sensors on his arm. He now wears them on his legs exclusively but it looks like you're using those for pump sites (which I think is really cool btw). Unfortunately, my son had zero success with the sensor on his stomach, even with Skin Tac and Opsite. They would just fall off from sweat. The strange thing is that his pump sites stay on his stomach and lower back and he doesn't use anything on them at all. Go figure. :cwds:

16. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

Well we tried putting it on her stomach last night and it fell off during practice today. Dexcom sent me a couple of extras so we had a couple of testers, but now we are running out and I am really losing my patience as is my daughter. The ONE sensor that worked for us (out of 5) was amazing but i just don't know if it's worth all this frustration. I'm getting upset. My daughter's getting upset. I'm doing things the same as everyone else. I just don't understand :beaten:

17. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

We tried it last night and it didn't work. She still sweat through the opsite and then the wrap slid down her arm. I am at the end of my rope. We were so excited to get the dexcom. My daughter thought that she was going to have more freedom. I thought that I was going to have less nights filled with worry and fear. It wouldn't be as devastating if we werent the only ones having this problem, but it works for everyone EXCEPT FOR US :(

18. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Can you try the lower back area? Like upper bottom but off to the side and right above the waist line of her pants? I find I don't really sweat at all there and it is a comfy and out of the way area for a sensor. Also, you might try making sure she doesn't shower for at least a few hours after placing the sensor. It will allow the tape time to really attach to the skin.

ETA: What are you doing to the skin before placing the sensor? My suggestion would be to skip all the skin preps and just clean the skin with an alcohol wipe. Let it dry, place the sensor and rub the tape down really well before actually inserting the needle. Then tape the edges with opsite and make sure to wait a few hours before getting it wet.

19. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

20. Haljov2

Haljov2 Approved members

We didn't try putting a sensor on her backside yet because we always had such problems keeping her sites on in that area, but it's worth a try.

We clean the area with an alcohol wipe and then apply skin tac before inserting the sensor. Then we cover it with opsite. We have tried different variations of taping it down as well as different areas of the body. Last night we went back to the arm and taped it down with the four smaller pieces of opsite that was recommended by other posters. She always waits before getting it wet. The problem is that she is very involved in sports. She is finishing up her softball season now and soccer practice has already started. There are days that she goes directly from soccer practice to a softball game. She never has down time. It doesn't help that it's been ridiculously humid here lately.