- advertisement -

Dexcom and Minimed CGM question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MissEmi, Aug 6, 2011.

1. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My doctor finally said I could get a CGM!!! I'm so excited! I have the Minimed Revel (just got in Monday!) and so that's a plus in the MM CGM direction, however, I read on their website that the sites can only stay in for 3 days? And the Dexcom is 7 days? How long do most of you leave them in? THat's a pretty big difference.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Over here (Europe), exactly the same sites that you get in the US were approved for 6 day use. I've used each site for 7 days, and very few ever have had to be pulled before that time. Some have even lasted longer. I've never tried the Dex, but had a really positive experience with MM. :)

3. timsma

timsma Approved members

That's great news!
    We had the MM cgm a couple years ago or more, and it sucked for us, but I THINK they've improved them since then. We've had the Dex now for I think 6 months or about that and it's fabulous. We usually get about 2 weeks out of one sensor. Good luck with whichever one you choose!

4. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

My son has used between 7-9 for MM CGM.Either the battery dies or site area starts to itch..

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I average about two weeks on both kinds of sensors when I tried wearing them as long as they'd work, and they'd work well for about ten days.

My big beef with minimed sensors was that they hurt and I had reactions to the adhesives.

6. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I have a MM sensor. It works great for me. I usually get at least 7 days with a sensor.

7. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

Are you in Houston? Our endo at Tx Childrens won't come close to recommending a cgms. Just wondered if you used the same practice.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The MM sensors are only FDA approved for 3 days, but everyone uses them longer. We change every 7 days, but have gone as long as 14 days.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Dex lasts approximately 10 days for my son. Learning curve in the beginning had us only at about 5 but they replaced those.

His most recent site lasted over 10 days, and was true to the end.

10. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Thanks for all of the responses!! So, basically, the MM lasts as long as Dex, it's just not "approved." I was hoping that was the case!

@Momof3sons---Yes, I got to TCH and see Dr. Karaviti. She doesn't like CGMs, but I have won my NP (Suzanne Wheat) over to it. She says they have several problems with people getting on them:
    1) They rely totally on the CGM and only check to calibrate.
    2) They may not be totally accurate (this is what they said to me a few years ago, I'm not sure if this is still the case).
    3) TCH does not have the time or capacity to manage the CGM for patients. In other words, you have to figure out your own data. A lot of people get the CGM and then pester their doctors and CDEs with all of their data because they're suddenly seeing things that they never knew about before, and the hospital has a LOT of patients.

My age is a huge factor into me getting the CGM, and the fact that not only am I older than most patients there, but my mom is still very active in helping me with D when I need her, so Suzanne knows that there will definitely be two pairs of eyes on this. They're very, very picky over there!! I've been talking to them about this for 2 years!