- advertisement -

Dexcom and Animas integration??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeerMargaritaMom, Feb 4, 2012.

1. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

First forgive me if there is a recent thread regarding this. I tried a search but didn't find anything regarding the integration of the two devices. If there is one that you know of please share it.

The last I heard of the Dexcom/Animas integration was in June of last year. The integrated system was approved for use in various European countries. Thus this post has two questions:

1st - anyone know anything about when we will get an opportunity here in the US to purchase an integrated system.

2nd - anyone using the integrated system outside the US that can share their thoughts regarding it?

We have a Dexcom and it has been successfully collecting dust for two years since niether of my T1 kids wants to carry another device. i know that may sound silly to many CGM lovers but I try to let my kids make some choices regarding their diabetes managment even if I disagree with their choices. I have recently been talking to my dd about wearing the sensor but only using the receiver at night - therefore not having to carry it. For those of you that use Dexcom 7 please enlighten me - is this an option or will it always be off because it is away from her so much?

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

You can try it, you may get good results, and even if the results are mediocre as long as you don't treat them as more definitive than they are it's information that can be of use. Sometimes when the Dex is off it is still good for us because the trends are fairly correct, even if the numbers aren't.

As a side note, I am a total adoring fan of the CGM, even when we thought the pump was doing well for us I would have given up the pump before the CGM if my kid didn't want to carry both. But even I don't think it's required technology, I can see people being able to do a very good job with care without one. It's just a tool for the box, if it doesn't work for you right now that's perfectly fair. Each family has to make its own decision on this stuff.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You could use it only for nights. It has a feature where you can simply hit "Shutdown" and it does exactly that. When you press any buttons to make it come back on, it still has your old calibrations and all that.
    After two years, your dexcom is out of warranty and might not work. I am currently on my fourth Dexcom receiver, and I've been using Dexcom for only sixteen months. Two of my Dexcom receivers displayed errors and wouldn't give readings; one simply stopped beeping for alarms. The transmitter is also out of warranty after two years and it also might or might not work. Guess it would be worth a try though.
    The Dexcom is at its worst performance overnight- most nights it still gives good data though.

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We have two Dexcom receivers because we got a new system when the warranty ran out last year.

DD leaves one of the receivers at home every day while she's at school and when she comes home, it picks her back up again. It is just as accurate as the one she takes to school. In fact, they often read exactly the same or very close.

5. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

Thx all for the responses. DD decided to go back to shots today - first dose of Lantus (10 units) in nearly 3 years. It's gonna be a long night I think. Gonna try to get Dex on her tomorrow.