- advertisement -

Dexcom alarms

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by bgallini, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

Sorry if this has been addressed alot. I only did a halfassed search on the topic.

Alex wants the dexcom and I know there has been discussion that the MM cgms alarms are not very loud. How are the dexcom alarms? Will they wake up a college student????:rolleyes:

2. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Depends on how heavy they sleep. My son doesn't even flinch. I've readposts about how people put the cgm in a jar of quarters so the vibration is louder or they get a micrphone from radio shack to put next to the cgm and plug it into a computer speaker that hasvolume control.

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Its quite loud. I think the issue and the difference in the two is that if the pumper is sleeping on the minimed pump the alarm is seriously muffled by bedding and their body, where the Dexcom receiver is sitting out in the open, next to their head. The dexcom on vibrate, rattling against the nightstand is enough to wake me up, when she's in the same room with me. The alarm is plenty loud in the same room.

4. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

It definitely depends on how heavy a sleeper he is. I have found that after a year, I am beginning to sleep through the vibrations, but will wake up to the beep.

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Thanks! Alex has decided he wants the Dexcom so I called the endo today to get started on the process. Hopefully, he likes it enough to use it....and use it well!:D And hopefully the alarms work for him at night.

6. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

The alarms can go off all night and my dd will never wake up for them. I personally think they are way too quiet for night. During the day, they are adequate. We use a baby monitor in her room, without it, it has to alarm several times before I will wake and try to decide if I heard anything or not.