- advertisement -

DEXCOM 7 FAILURES is it me?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kaismom, Jun 29, 2008.

1. kaismom

kaismom Approved members

AUGGHHH! We have had the worst run of sensor failures im beginning to think there is something we are doing wrong. The first few weeks of dexcom were amazing wonderful and then the last 3 we've just had sensor failures every time. They last a day or so, then get spotty in accuracy, and then die after 3 days. We've had 4 failures in a row and I'm thinking that the sensor we put in yesterday is failing. To make things worse we are in France for 3 weeks, could really use the extra level of BG monitoring what with unusual food and time changes and we have only 2 sensors left.

Kai is thin so we pretty much use the top of the tush and move the pump around in a circle on the top of the left cheek and the cgm around on the right. we cant really do tummy. could it be scar tissue? bad sensors? often when we pull them out the wire is slightly bent. btw we started dexcom and animas 2020 at the beginning of June.

losing my mind here...

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

You need to call up customer service and give them the lot #(s) of the sensors. Also demand a replacement from them. It costs too much $$$ for these sensors (even if your insurance paid 100% of the cgms supplies) for them not to provide superior service. Hopefully, this was just a faulty lot of sensors.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I had one sensor out of seven attempts work for longer than a day before failing, and so it's not just you! :p I would put one in around 8pm and by 5am it would fail. I would restart it and then about 6 hours later it would fail again. They replaced the sensors over and over, replaced the transmitter, had me upload all of my results to the trainer to discuss with the technicians, and were going to replace the receiver but I gave up on the whole system and returned it before then. My trainer mentioned that I might just have an overreactive immune response that interferes with the way the sensor works, and that no amount of "wetting" will remedy it. Or it could have been interference from my pump. Or it was poor choice of sensor site....But who knows? It's too expensive for what little I got out of it. One sensor lasted me five days and gave me results that were within 100 mg/dl of my actual BG readings. Needless to say, I didn't come away from the experience with a positive impression of the system.

I agree that they should replace ALL the sensors that failed/didn't work as promised, on their own dime.

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Did you call Dexcom yet to talk with the about it. Recently we have had our best sensors.
    THe company is wonderful for sending new sensors for replacement of early failures and trying to talk you thrugh some ideas as well. Def. try that.
    We use the butt and arm only for the cgms and belly and arm for the pod.
    My daughter is also rather petite. .
    Good luck,
    Allene

5. kaismom

kaismom Approved members

Thanks for the responses.

We did call dexcom to report the first 2 then again on #3. they sent only one replacement so far :confused:. they asked us to upload numbers and send which i will do when we get home. we have now had failures 4 and 5.
    I suppose there's not much they can do while we are here, but i'll send them an email.

might try tummy this time or thigh perhaps.

I've got to figure this out I just love having the DEXCOM!!!

6. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Have you been restarting the sensors? Sometimes we will restart a sensor 2 or 3 times in the life of it. Hang in there and good luck,:(
    Allene

7. Rick_L

Rick_L Approved members

We have only had one failure since we started several months ago. I found out that I was holding the sensor at to shallow of an angle. If you have a kink in the wire when you remove it, that could be your problem. Our son is very lean and we use his belly. So we try to get it in without going to deep!?!? Good luck!!!