- advertisement -

Dex4 calibration question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, Feb 7, 2013.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We start our Dex tomorrow! Wondering particularly with little kids, when and how frequently are you calibrating?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. swellman

swellman Approved members

We enter BGs when it indicates or when it's more than 10% off which is pretty rare.

I have noticed that the "enter BG" notification comes up more than twice a day but I haven't given it much thought.

3. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

We enter in the AM before breakfast and the PM before dinner. Seems to be just right as far as the 12 hrs goes and also when most likely to have stable numbers.

Even if you start it later in the afternoon or early morning for some reason, you can enter a BG any time to get it in sync with whatever 12 hrs you want it to be. You don't have to wait exactly 12 hrs to enter it again.

4. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

We calibrate ONLY when blood sugar is between 90 and 170 AND bs has been steady for 3 consecutive readings and we expect that it will continue to be steady for another 3 (15 minutes before, and 15 minutes after). This is true even if the meter is asking for a calibration, we will routinely ignore the request until we have a good moment to calibrate.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

We calibrate as long as she is under 350 and at least twice a day. I also have her calibrate if it is more then 20 off. That is my unscientific 1st week experience.

6. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

So is it going to prompt for a new calibration 12 hours after the last was entered? For example, if we start tomorrow at 11am and calibrate before dinner tomorrow night (6pm) - it will prompt us again Saturday at 6am and not 12 hrs after the initial start up?

I know it's better to calibrate when bg is relatively stable, but is it better to calibrate when the meter and cgm are close to the same number, or different. If they're different, and we calibrate - does it nudge the cgm back in line?

Where do little ones put sites? Hank is about 35 pounds and we use his tush for pump sites, and thinking arms for cgm.

7. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Yes, if you calibrate at 6pm it will ask at 6 am. Sometimes, if it's a weekend, I may calibrate at 6pm (since I did it early morning Friday let's say) and then I'll enter another BG at bedtime so it doesn't want a BG until a little later Sat morning. And nothing 'bad' will happen if you don't enter the BG right when it asks for it. It will still work and usually be pretty spot on still.

Don't ever calibrate if double arrows up or down. Because BG is rising or falling fast, calibrating with a BG check will throw things off. We usually only calibrate when the arrow is steady on the Dex, which is why we do it before meals.

We only enter BG's twice a day, or if Dex is off by more than 30-40 points. If it's off by less than that, I leave it be. Dex will very rarely be exactly the same as the BG so don't over correct it thinking it should match exactly.

We only use arms for Dex and it works great. Others have tried thighs and hips, but for us arms to be the best site. We use the others for his pump.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We calibrate before each meal, as long as she doesn't have a trend arrow, and then before one of us goes to bed, which is at least 4 hours after dinner