- advertisement -

Dex...getting it to adhere better

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, May 16, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter hates to have to reinforce with tape as it irritates her already sensitive skin. Recently, I purchased a bottle of liquid uni-solve and it came with a bottle of liquid skin-tac. First, let me say that for getting the sensor off, liquid uni-solve is the way to go! Squirt a little around the edge and then push off with a q-tip, the sucker slides right off.

For the skin tac, I will use the regular pad because it's just easier to make sure there is an open spot for the sensor to land in, but once it is on, I take the liquid and dab all around the edges. It has been working really well for us. I figure we will have to go back to the tape for summer water activities, but I'm going to see how it goes first.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Skin tac didn't work for us either, but we've had great results using Opsite Flexifix (2" wide roll).
    http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-OpSite-Flexifix-Transparent/dp/B000PQAYZK

We apply it like in this photo:
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/6263709708_8308796cef_o.jpg

Since the sensor adhesive is exactly the width of the flexifix, I trim the sides of the adhesive before applying the sensor (a few mm off each side) so that the flexifix touches the skin all around. The total length you need to cut is 18 of the small green "grids" (these grids disappear when the backing is removed). The cutout in the middle is 8 grids x 4 grids to fit perfectly over the sensor. I use a small exacto-knife for the cutout. With this the G4 doesn't loosen at all for at least 10 days.

Flexifix does still pretty well but we haven't seen any skin reaction.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have one of those big bottles of skin tac with a dubber(sp?).

After I remover the paper backing I take a very saturated qtip and wipe the back of the adhesive let it dry a little and then put it on her.

This way we do not end up with a dirty ring around the dex site from excess liquid adhesive. I have also started to but a strip of Coverroll at the top corner where we always have issues with it coming lose right at the bigining. When the extra strip comes lose i take that off and the original dex tape is usuallly very stuck by then.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've been using the Opsite. It keeps things down great, but by about day 5, it starts bugging her. It's not as bad as the IV3000 which she now seems to not tolerate at all anymore. At least I know in a bind we can use the Opsite and just muddle through.

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We're having a problem with them sticking too. After 2 days the edges come up. Which is strage because the POD never comes off. This time around, I just put a tegaderm patch over the entire thing. So far so good.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

And see, for us, the Flexifix starts pulling off at about day 4. When I reboot the sensor at Day 7, I often have to "reinforce" the tape to get to 14 days.

7. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Ours has stayed on pretty good, but we did have to put a bit of tape on at about day 7....Our 1st sensor lasted 14 days :) But I used an unused adhesive from a failed pod. I had 2 laying around that had never been used so I removed the adhesive tape, cut it into strips and stuck it over the sensor tape. Worked perfect. Now, can someone tell me what that tape is called? I had a roll of it once, you could tear off "scored" sections at a time. I thought I bought it from walgreen's but can't find it.

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We also use the flexfix. It will start rolling up on the edges toward the bottom about day 7ish. She wears them on her back right above the pant line. I just trim the roll and add a little tape. She will say somewhere in week 2 that it gets itchy. I don't see any irritation on her skin though.

So far our longest is 17 days. She's bumped a couple off after the 2 week mark. We did agree between us that she can take a day break between sensors which seems to make her happy.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We use flexfix rather like Darryl does, but not quite so tidy.:p

It is the least irritating tape we've tried.

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Have you tried this method? Back in my dexcom days I taped it in a similar manner with only a small overlap. I found that reduced irritation from the tape.
    http://www.ardensday.com/main/2013/2/6/opsite-flexifix.html

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

Same with us. The opsite is irritating. We have good luck with hypafix tape .

12. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Ours starts to peel around day 4-5. We've had great luck cutting a rectangle out of a tegaderm, and putting it over the original sticker part. It sticks for another 5 days or so n

13. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We use Hypafix tape. I cut 4 strips and do a criss-cross pattern covering the Dex tape, but not the sensor itself.

My son has very sensitive skin and some adhesive allergies, and the Hypafix works without irritating his skin. His dermatologist recommended it.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Here's what it looks like today (day 7). The flexifix peels a little by day 7, but the trick is to cut a few mm off the sides of the dex adhesive so the flexifix contacts the skin on all four sides, then make a cutout exactly fit to the sensor (4x8 grids), then the sensor doesn't lift up at all.

15. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

Out Dex trainer said absolutely no tegaderm. I thought it would be good for swimming. Some of you are using it with success?

16. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We used tegaderm with the Minimed. Tegaderm was OK, but doesn't last nearly as long as the Flexifix. The tegaderm would start lifting within a few days and especially if it was stretched. With the flexifix, Leah can actually do handstands over and over and the flexifix still looks like new.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

I used to obsess with getting as much time with the 7+ because when we got a good sensor we wanted to keep it. However, I'm perfectly fine with letting the G4 go when it lets go which is usually around day 10ish.

Pool season may change that completely.

18. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I got the tegaderm idea from Gary Scheiner. Hana swims every day and so far so good using it. Dd they offer an explanation for no tegaderm?

19. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

All I can think of is that they don't want you to cover the entire sensor because it might trap water. Other than that, Tegaderm is fine as long as you are willing to replace it every few days. That's where the flexifix is better, it seems to not need to be replaced.

20. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

Thank you for sharing Darryl :) We are on day 10 with the Dexcom. First sensor site lasted 7 days and was peeling pretty bad. The second literally fell off within 24hrs at her softball game. I called Dexcom and they recommended: IV 3000, Blenderm and Tegaderm.
    We lost the 3rd yesterday when she was demonstrating a backwards walkover, it was reinforced with tegaderm. After wearing Omnipod for 2 years I never expected this issue. We need to use unisolve to remove her pods.