- advertisement -

Dex G4.....dying transmitter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jensmami, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Did anybody have to replace their g4 transmitter yet? If so, did you see inaccurate numbers for a while before the message came that you need to change the transmitter?

Our Dex showed suddenly low tonight, even though she was 158, and stuck in low. I stopped the sensor and started it up again. So I will see if this does the trick. Sensor is only 5 days old.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had that happen to us last night and then followed by ??? I started it back up and so far we are seeing OK numbers. But I do know we are coming towards the end, we are at a a out 7 months.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I changed ours at the nine month mark. It was still working, but we were going on vacation and didn't want to chance it. So, it went well past the six month mark.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

I was wondering the same thing. We're having the same exact issues. Lots of ??? all of a sudden, some hour glass readings, and some weird lows that aren't, or lows that get stuck when BG has responded. This sensor, I think, is on day 3 right now.

We're coming up to the 9 month point with this transmitter.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Ours is 10 months. I saw an hour glass last week, but it was an old sensor. We also had about a hour on the new sensor 2 days in with no data during the night.

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

We are at 10 months and still going strong. I got the replacement at 5 months because my insurance company wanted to make sure we weren't without it for even the few weeks it might take to process a new one. At this rate, the new one will be out of warranty before we even use it!!

7. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

We are almost at our 10 month mark and we see more and more weird things. Our sensor did not come back, when I did do a stop/start sensor it looked good at first but then it started to alarm around 5 am that it was out of range and it never got it back. We tried it again and then after a while we got failed sensor. Of course I am not sure if it is just the sensor, but combined with some of the a typical inaccuracies maybe it's time to change out the transmitter.

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

does anyone know how long the transmitter will last still in the box? I've heard there is a magnet in the box so as long as you don't remove the transmitter from the box, the "6 months" doesn't start.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

I would assume it has an expiry on the box? It could be good for quite some time as in a year or better without activating it. I'm guessing though. I'm also unsure if putting it back turns it off - that would be good to know as well.

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'm hoping putting it back turns it off, I lost her transmitter. We looked for 4 days, tore the house apart and couldn't find it. Called Dexcom and paid for a replacement, drove over and picked it up. As soon as I took it out of the box to prep it, found the "missing" one. So I put the new one back in the box with the magnet. We'll see what happens. She's still using the original one.

11. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

we had 3 sensors fail with ??? same lot. The next week we got low battery replace trans now. We were 3 days under the 6 months:) so received it as a warranty replacement.

Put in new sensor from different lot and no issues. I did have a long talk with the rep - inquired if bad lot or the ??? might have been because of the transmitter. They told me neither.

They did try to tell me she had to wear it on her stomach as that is where it is FDA approved. I reminded them that was for adults (this was the 2nd failure call - rep was trying to make it our fault for placement).

3 sensors replacement and 1 transmitter in the last 3 weeks - after no issues for 3 days shy of 6 months :D Our accuracy has never been an issue.

12. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

10 months yesterday & we're still going. We had a few issues with out of range, bad readings & ???s a couple of months ago. Finished that box of sensors & no problems since.

According to Dexcom, once the transmitter is removed from the packaging the battery life countdown starts & there's no stopping it. Then again, Dexcom reps are not always reliable sources.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Does anyone have any idea how long the receivers last? We have a new transmitter unopened, expecting the current one's death, so I was wondering what to expect with the receiver and when to place a new order with insurance so we're not left without CGM for a month.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's my understanding that the warranty is for one year.

15. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

The warranty is for a year, but I don't think anyone can answer this question yet. No one has had this version of receiver longer than 10-11 months, to see how they will hold up over time. The old receivers we have are all still in working order and we have been using the Dex for 5 years. But the current design is entirely different.

16. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

For us, about 5-6 months. The first one had a messed up display so it was replaced in May (or maybe June). The current one has lost the USB cover. I need to call for a replacement but it's far down on my to-do list right now.

Our warranty is up on the receiver Nov 10. That's when we'll reorder a new system, assuming our insurance still covers.

17. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Just got new transmitter - month 7

I just received and started a new transmitter around 7 months in. I am not really sure about wacky readings, but it seems we have many more times of ???? lately and then it comes back and goes back to ???

My insurance let me go ahead and order another transmitter since we are at 7 months. I went ahead and started the new one as soon as I got it, instead of waiting for the old one to die!

Seems to be working fine.

18. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I don't really buy this. We've been going along smoothly until now - 7 months in. Lots of ????, lots of wildly inaccurate readings, on multiple sensors. Spoke to the rep extensively and she said bad transmitter indications are solely "low battery" sign and "out of range that won't resolve itself". There are lots of electronic devices that do not work properly with a low battery. Why can't this be one of them?