- advertisement -

Dex and Share in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Thornbird, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

Trying to figure out what we should do for full day Kindergarten. I have an old iPhone 4S that I could pair and send with my son... but he's 5 years old! Is this what others do? Do I have the teacher keep the phone/receiver on her desk while they're in class then he carries it with him in a little bag to PE/Library/Recess/Cafeteria etc.? I love the idea of being able to see his trend graph on my phone during the school day.

Never in a million years did we think we'd give our 5 year old a smart phone.:p

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd probably get a cute little mini-backpack for him, put in the receiver and phone and a juice box etc and let the teacher keep it at her desk during homeroom then have him take it to specials.

3. mamaberkhie

mamaberkhie Approved members

I'm trying to figure this out too. DS is starting kindergarten in a few days and I am a mess. I was thinking of throwing his D supplies in a mini backpack and having the adult keep it for him. He's only five and I can imagine all kinds of things happening to that bag if he is kept in charge of it!

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The Share side, for the patient, doesn't work with a 4. Has to be a 5.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

6. dpr

dpr Approved members

We didn't want our daughter to have a phone, and still don't in 4th grade. In 2nd grade we got her an IPod so she could use the school Wi-Fi to text us about diabetes issues. When we upgraded to Share the IPod works great with it. As long as you have Wi-Fi you have Dex data.

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We use a 4S. It's perfect because it has the bluetooth capability to talk to the receiver but also is on 3G network and not LTE so you can get a cheaper data plan - we have it on Page Plus Cellular (Verizon reseller) and spend about $3-5/month.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We are with you on the phone issue but consider this a medical device, not a phone. You can add restrictions with a passcode (not the passcode to unlock the phone but a second one within settings) to turn off whatever features you don't want your kid to use. So no music, no internet, whatever. We left phone and texting but set it to respond to contact only, and then populated the contacts with people he could ask for help with diabetes only. Us, grandparents, nurse, a few trusted friends. He does not really use that though.

The other nice thing is that you can enable the Find my Phone feature. I am pretty free range and did not keep close tabs on my kids before but since diabetes I like to know where he is, esp. if his blood sugar is out of whack. I let him ride his bike around the neighborhood as long as he has his kit because I could go get him if he dropped fast.

9. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We vacillated a lot also, for the same reasons as Thornbird. With the start of kindergarten, though, I ordered a refurbished iPod touch 5 from Apple ($139), and we will run it off the school wifi network. We included wifi access in our draft 504 plan, and the school is fine with it.

What really sold me on Share was discovering that the kindergartners eat three times in a 6.5 hour day, and do recess or PE at different times every day, both of which make d management more complicated than I expected. During the first week, there have been days where she was in the office 4 or 5 times for pokes (thank goodness it's 'just' kindergarten!) I am Hoping that we can eliminate some of those office visits by giving the health aide Share access when we have it up and running next week.

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

OT-Can you spell out how you limited calls and texts? Are you referring to the Do Not Disturb feature or Filter Unknown Senders? I don't see phone or text listed in Setting-General-Restrictions on an iPhone 5C, but perhaps am not looking in the right place.

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

You can turn them off entirely under restrictions. I left them on but set Do Not Disturb to contacts only and then populated his contacts with approved people. He's only 8 and doesn't know anyone with a phone so that's safe for now. I occasionally see a phishing text when charging the phone. He doesnt look at it unless it makes noise.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Sorry, not seeing phone or texting under settings-general-restrictions. These screen shots are what I see on DD's iPhone 5C.

About Restrictions (parental controls) on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

You are right! I don't see them on my 6 either. But they are on the 4S