- advertisement -

dex 4 fast acting Glucose?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommabear, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Has anybody ever used the dex 4 fast acting glucose bits?? They are so tiny..My son wanted to try them for something different..I was just wondering how good they work since they are only 1 carb per bit. It seems like he would have to take a quite a few to treat a low.Thanks:cwds:

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

3. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We've used them, they are okay if you need just a couple of carbs. My son prefers Smarties, though. They are 6g per roll, they are made of pretty much the exact same thing as glucose tabs and they are way cheaper.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We tried them, but like as you said, it takes so many to treat a low. They aren't small either. I was surprised at how big they were. We only bought them once.

6. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We discovered Sour Tarts recently, which my dd loves. They have small size which is 1 g per tablet, or a larger size which are 4 g.... almost seems like they are Glucose tabs, but disguise as yummy candies.

P.S. For those who live in my area (Calgary), SuperStore has boxes of SourTarts on sale for 0.44 cents a box!!! Go stock up.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I bought them once because my daughter only requires a small amount of carb to bring her up - however, I found them to be ridiculously expensive given how many were in a bottle! I usually stick with the smarties or even half a glucose tab if she doesn't need that much.

8. mommabear

Thanks guys...yeah I don't care for them so far..I think we will try the smarties..:D he just gets so sick of the same things all the time, so we are trying different things..:D

9. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

10. mommabear

Meijer brand is $4.99 for 50..it drives me crazy how much they are..I bought the dex 4 once the other day for $2.99 for 60.. the difference is the Meijer kind is 4carbs per tab and the others is 1carb per tab..So my son has eat quite a few at one time..:cwds:

11. RacerWife7

Oooh! So your $4.99/50 is an even better deal! ...We don't have Meijer pharmacies in my area, unfortunately. Booo! LOL!

12. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

Wow. I did not see the regular price. I have never paid full price for them. The last bottles we got were $3.99 with coupons :)

13. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Just want to chime in again... try looking for "Sweet Tarts" made by "Wonka.com". The first ingredient is "dextrose" so I don't doubt they are much like dextrose tabs (if not the same:rolleyes:) A box of 1 g/tab with about 170 tabs is under $1 and the tubes of them which are 4g per tab are $1.29 ish.

14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I buy a lot of the Wonka too. That is actually what Gary Scheiner recommends in Think Like a Pancreas.

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We recently bought our first bottle of Dex4, and we won't buy them again. They don't bring up lows as quickly as honey for my DD. One night, I gave her 16g three times before her meter budged upwards...and then by morning she was 234. :( The honey works consistently and quickly for us, so we're sticking to it.

16. RacerWife7

Awesome! Thanks! :D