advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeVos Confirmation Hearing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Might want to have a look at the DeVos Confirmation hearing to get a sense of her disinterest in maintaining the 504 protections upon which our kids in public schools rely.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Yep, very disappointed about this candidate. I sincerely hope she is not confirmed. Then again, thetrump is the last person on earth I wanted as president. All my hoping he wouldn't be elected didn't make that wish come true...

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Yeah, I'm quite appalled by her hearings. I just.... No... Just no.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

While I find the 504 protections nice I have never had to rely on them as I have always had a positive relationship with my kid's schools. Certainly many people do get more benefit from the laws when schools fail.

However, it seems like a bit of hysteria to think that even if DeVoss completely dismantled the federal department of education (highly unlikely) that our kids would lose protections. Before the law started in 1975 it was left up to states and many kids received very bad services. Then a bunch of states got sued and lost. After that the federal government made the federal laws codifying the protections that the court determined they deserved. If the department of education ceased to exist (again unlikely) the laws would still be on the books. But if the laws also ceased to exist ( even more unlikely) then the court cases that the states lost would still exist. Even if those court cases had never happened we are far more enlightened than we were back in 1975 and I doubt many states at all would fail to enact state legislation to protect students with disabilities.

Meanwhile we throw more and more money at education and there is little correlation to the amount we spend and improvements. Something needs to change and I am all for that change being that I get more control over local situations and the federal government gets out. As parents we need to have more power and the increased ability to change schools and even to change states if it comes to that is a power I would like to see more of. Are you not in favor of parents and local schools having more power?

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I'm glad that you've had good experiences with your school's personnel. But there are many, many T1 families who have not had the same experience. For examples, see here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/27/health/many-schools-failing-on-diabetes-care.html?_r=0

In my experience as both a T1 parent and as an education administrator, nothing gets a school bureaucracy's attention as quickly or easily as a complaint to the Dept of Education OCR. If the Department of Education ceased to exist, that administrative process would vanish. Going to court simply isn't a realistic option for many families, and nor is it nearly as economical or efficient a way to resolve those questions as seeking federal interpretation of federal law. I just don't share your faith that all schools nationwide would do the right thing on disability accommodations without a federal mandate (look no further than those private schools that aren't subject to ADA/504!)

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

A quick post to express my agreement with what Snowflake has posted above

8. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

At the PTA level, yes; policy level, no. Some counties & school districts get it really right while others get it really wrong. The disparity is not acceptable. Fed govt has done a poor job with oversight, but that shouldn't mean we throw in the towel. IMO. It's one of the few areas I'm in favor of big government. Also agree with Snowflake on 504.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017