- advertisement -

Devastated (almost) 4 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaye.Caleb, Nov 11, 2013.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

For us, it's not really that important to know other kids with D. My daughter doesn't care that her friends don't have it (and she just lovesssss her friends) and doesn't ask me why someone else doesn't get shots, etc. When her friends ask her what she's doing, she just says, I have diabetes, I have to test my sugar, or take a shot, whatever she's doing at the moment. I do attribute this to her being diagnosed really young though. She wasn't old enough to think "why me?" I'm almost 100% sure that if she were diagnosed at 4 instead, she would've had a lot of reservations and resentment about the whole situation.

There's another child with diabetes in kindergarten but of course the nurse won't even tell me his name. I get that it's a privacy thing but I also want her to know she's not alone. It would be nice to know the other kid. Oh well.

This forum will really help you a lot. Probably more than even the drs will help. For me, everyone on here is "smarter" -I know there's a better word I could use here- when it comes to diabetes than the doctors because the doctors lack real experience. I feel that most of the knowledge on here comes from the many years of experience these parents have had. it's great.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The nurse is bound by law and professional licensing not to mention it, but the teachers are not, I don't believe, I would casually ask around.

3. missmakaliasmomma

hmmm good idea. it's a small school, maybe someone will crack lol

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You can also just ask the nurse to give the other parent a note with your contact info - then it's up to them if the elect to reach out. ;)

5. missmakaliasmomma

Of course I need someone to point this out to me lol. I don't know why I can't think of these things!

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

A year or so ago, when there was a newly-dx's kindergartner at our school, our nurse asked if she could share my DD's name. I agreed and said she could pass on my name and contract information as well.

At the same time, it turned out that the family lived in our neighborhood (another neighbor reached out to me because the mom was having a difficult time--the kindergartner was one of triplets, they had an older child, and DH had been laid off his job). We talked and I shared some of our experiences and the mom told me that her DD was really helped by my DD--I think that was one of the most rewarding D experiences I've had. They've since moved out of the country, so I don't know how they are doing now.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

that's so interesting because the kiddos (all 5 of them) at Isaac's school with d all know one another because they're bound to be together with the nurse at some point - either needing insulin, or sugar, or something :) I think they like to hang out there sometimes just to see one another!

8. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Hi Caleb's Mom,

On August 31 (2005) our 4-year old daughter Marissa was diagnosed. Today, she is 12, and thriving. She played soccer a couple years and now continues with ballet, jazz, and modern dance. My heart goes out to you as I understand a diagnosis at such a young age. You see from the other posts so many supportive people who truly understand your battles and desire for the best life for Caleb.

In addition to the daily education of learning how best to compare for our little one, we tried to channel a negative situation as much as possible to something positive, such as pursuing research for a cure. We tried as hard as possible to embrace the other aspects of her/our health that were positive and make the most of that (where reasonably possible).

Your mention of August 31, caught my attention with a reminder I wish I could forget. Don't let diabetes hold him back from his dreams. You can make it through this. God bless you.

Take care,
    Ken

9. missmakaliasmomma

The problem is my daughter never sees the school nurse, she has a 1:1. The other kid doesn't so they go to the school nurse. So, they never cross paths. In the summer I was told they were going to be in the same class and share the nurse but for some reason that didn't happen.

10. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Teachers are bound by FERPA (Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act) to not divulge personal information about their students. I would strongly suspect that this includes personal health information.

http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

Christine

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Welcome! My son was diagnosed at 2.5, and he is 5 now. As others have said, it does get easier, and getting involved with local groups and online communities like this can really make a difference. My son has "why me?" moments from time to time, but for the most part, he sees himself as normal, and we have always been matter-of-fact about diabetes. We are in the US right now, but we plan on returning to the GTA next summer/fall--whereabouts are you?

OP is in Ontario, so these laws do not apply. Teachers cannot divulge personal information, but it should not be too hard to find out if there is another child with diabetes in the school.

12. ChristineJ

Thank you, Caroline. It's good to know that privacy is protected there as well! I believe Nancy's post, and my subsequent post, were actually addressing missmakaliasmom's interest in finding out who the other CWD in her daughter's school was. I believe they're in the US, so those laws would apply for her. :)

Christine

13. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I figured! I just wanted to clarify for the OP--hope I didn't come across the wrong way. :)

14. ChristineJ

No, not at all! I just wasn't sure if it was clear what my post and Nancy's were addressing. Sometimes it gets confusing when threads go off the path a bit! :)

Christine