- advertisement -

Desperately Seeking help - St. Cloud Minnesota

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by klostien, Jun 6, 2011.

1. klostien

klostien Approved members

I am looking for any parents of kids or anyone with diabetes. I have been trying to find support groups or mentors in the St. Cloud Minnesota area since January and have had no success. Help!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Aside from a local support group, is there something specifically that you need help with? You have a world wide support group right here. :cwds:

3. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

4. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

It doesn't look like there is an active JDRF support group in St. Cloud - closest is Maple Grove:
    http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=108301

But they may have contacts for you. Here is the email for the JDRF: minndakotas@jdrf.org

ADA lists something for St. Cloud (see page 6):
    http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-commu...lis-minnesota/assets/files/support-groups.pdf

Or, given that it is a school-year support group, you could call the main MN office (they are great and the summer camps are wonderful).
    http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/local-offices/minneapolis-minnesota/

5. klostien

Thank you Christopher. CWD has been great! I am looking for someone local to help me with all of this. Everyday seems to have something new as we all well know. Just too much to explain everyday and I seem to do better talking about it that trying to write it down.

6. klostien

Dejahthoris,

Thanks for the link. The class that is listed does not exist any longer. The only class they have available now if a pre-diabetes class. St. Cloud does not have a pediatric endo on staff. They only have an endo come up from Minneapolis 3 times a month.

7. klostien

Thanks Rachel,

I have been down all of the avenues you have listed with no success. I am looking into starting a support group in St. Cloud. I know there has to be diabetics in the area that can help me... I just have had no luck locating anyone yet.

8. taximom

taximom Approved members

When I first moved here 4 years ago. I was in the same boat. I spoke to the school nurse (there were no other D-kids on our school, but I figured that there must be more in the district). She could not give out their contact info. w/out their permission. So she asked all the other moms if they would mind if I contacted them. It worked out great and she gave me the names of several boys (parents) w/ D right around my son's age.

Just a suggestion. You could also ask your Ped. endo, perhaps they know of other parents that are looking to get together.