- advertisement -

design student needs your help

Discussion in 'Teens' started by jackieblack25, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jackieblack25

jackieblack25 New Member

Hi guys,

I am a design student and I'm currently working on designing a glucose meter for my final project. Several of my close family members have recently been diagnosed T2 and I want to do everything I can to learn more about this disease and to help out in any way I can.

This is my first round of research, but if you could help answer some of these questions, I'd be very grateful:

How would you describe your attitude towards diabetes?
    What treatment method are you using?
    Do you feel like you are keeping your diabetes under control? Why or why not?
    Describe your glucose monitor. Do you like it? Do you carry it with you? How often do you use it?

Answer as much or as little as you'd like and feel free to add anything else. Thanks so much for your help!

Best,
    Jackie

2. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

since what youre asking is geared more toward type 2 it seems, you might have better luck on the type 2 forum. we have type 1.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If this is specifically for type 2, you might not find this the most helpful since I have type 1, but I'll answer anyway.

I don't like it, but I have to live with it.
    Insulin pump.
    In my opinion control = not possible for me, but I'm keeping it under the best management I can do.
    Describe your glucose monitor. Do you like it? Do you carry it with you? How often do you use it?
    Accuchek aviva nano, small, black, shiny, cute. Always with me. Use it about 10-15 times a day.

4. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

I'm type 1 also, but I'll answer as well.

I've accepted it. There isn't much you can do about something like this, except move forward.
    Animas Ping Insulin pump
    I could be doing a little bit better with it, but I'm not falling apart with it right now, so thats good. I think the reason is because I'm not checking quite as often as I should be. I mean, I still get my 5-ish checks in each day, but I need to be checking right after school and before lunch, and I haven't been doing that lately.
    I use the meter remote that goes with my pump. It's a One Touch, and it's linked with the pump. When I check my sugar, I can make a correction on my meter, and my pump will deliver the insulin, all from my meter! I love it! I carry it with me all the time, and I use it 5-6 times a day.

Hope this was helpful! Good luck with the project! :)

5. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

Like most (umm..all?) of the people on here, I'm type 1, but I'll answer anyways out of boredom :p

It can be tough to deal with, it's easy to get a burn-out and sometimes I wish I didn't have it. But I accepted it the day I was diagnosed (after a little while of crying) and most of the time I look at it as a challenge.

I'm using insulin pump therapy, Animas 2020 right now, but hopefully switching to the Omnipod system by Christmas.

I don't like to use the word "control" with diabetes. The way I think of it, diabetes is a disease that cannot be controlled. If we could truly control it, we wouldn't have to worry about highs and lows and future complications. I take care of my diabetes by testing my blood sugar and treating high and low blood sugars and the symptoms that come along with them. I think I'm doing fairly well with my management of my diabetes.

My current glucose monitor is the One Touch Ultra Mini. I like it because its purple :D and it's easy to use. I carry it and the supplies needed to use it inside my purse, so it's with me everywhere I go. I usually check 6-8 times a day (well, I try to). Every time before I eat, when I wake up and go to bed, and before I drive.

6. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

ditto :p

Tired of it, sick of the constant battle but hopeful that i will see a cure soon.
    insulin pump(animas 2020)
    pretty much. i keep up with my blood sugar, my mom helps me with changing my insulin doses and i have a full panel of blood work done once a year to check on how everything is doing. lots of work, but it's what's keeping me alive!
    this is the meter i use most of the time. it's okay. colors would be good and it'd be great if diabetes technology kept up better with main stream 'fun' tech(cells, mp3 players, etc), though-color screens, touch pads/screens, etc. i carry with me sometimes, full time until about a month ago when i got a couple of 'mini' med kits with just the testing supplies for on-the-go use(there's another, slightly large one with insulin, sets, etc. it's just more discrete to test with the smaller kit;)). this is the meter that's in those.

hope that helps some!