- advertisement -

Denying access to insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Deal, Mar 25, 2013.

1. skimom

skimom Approved members

I have never had a problem here but from my experience both as a teacher and as a parent with 2 kids with diabetes. you do have to jump through a few hoops which are set up for your child's safety first and foremost.
    When each of my kids was diagnosed, I asked for ameeting with the administrators and teachers - in each case , we gave a little "diabetes 101" class ( along with handouts with all of the critical relevent info like how to recognize a low, how to treat it, when to call the parents/EMS/hospital etc) The school and all involved was incredibly supportive . What they asked US to do was to fill out a form indicating that each of our kids needs ot take insulin- we filled out type, approximate times etc - things like dosages were obviously not filled in. We also supplied a letter from the endo clinic with verification of the diabetes, and indications as to what accommodations need to be made for the kids ( allow them to test, not be alone when having a low etc) as well as the importance of allowing food, drinks as required as well as access to the bathroom as required.The form allowing the administration of medicine at school is required for any child who has to take medication at school - (including epipens, insulin, antibiotics etc etc)they are not doing this to be difficult - they need to know this information to keep the child safe.
    The documentation we supplied I feel was important as it would be pulled immediately and given to EMS in the event of an emergency - it was also required reading for any of the kid's teachers and we agreed to meet or talk to anyone who needed to ask questions.
    I feel you have to work with the school - the vast majority of people have no clue about diabetes and what it entails. They also don't know the toll it takes emotionally on the patient and family especially in the "trying to be normal' area of life. What the principal did was wrong and it sounds like the superintendant made the right choice - my suggestion is instead of getting angry, use this as an opportunity for education and clarification - set up your own "open door policy"- as the saying goes, you attract more bees with honey than vinegar...

2. MapleSyrupMom

MapleSyrupMom Approved members

We are in Halton, and the Halton boards have a diabetes protocol in place. http://www.hdsb.ca/ParentInfo/Health Protocols/DiabetesProtocol2008.pdf I wouldn't be surprised if the board(s) in Peel had a similar document as well.

It's unfortunate that you have been having such issues with the school. I don't know if we are just lucky or if it's a board thing, but our school has been totally supportive and amazing since Alyssa's first day back after diagnosis. Grades 2 to 4 we had an EA who would help her test her blood sugar and log the numbers at breaks. She used to test in a private room but in Grade 4 decided to test in the classroom. Now in Grade 5, at her own request this year she is doing her own testing and bolusing. She carries her supplies with her and is permitted to test (and treat lows, if necessary) at any time, anywhere in the school.

We're with the public board, but I also know a couple of D kids at the local Catholic school and from what their moms have said, the Catholic school is very supportive as well.

It rather surprises me that things can differ so much amongst different school boards within the same province. I would have thought that medical protocols would be dictated by the provincial government.

I hope all your issues get straightened out soon.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's what I find amazing. But even here, in the US, while there are state laws in place, you always get one person in a district who likes to throw their weight around and think they are the ones setting the policies.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think you went the right route with talking to the superintendent. Each board in ON has very different protocols, so you really need to go with what is happening in your board. Someone mentioned Halton's procedures; TDSB and York Region DSB also both have policies online that you can use as a reference.

Good luck getting this resolved.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

HWDSB has a very similar document http://www.hwdsb.on.ca/aboutus/policies/documents/Medical-Support-Diabetes.pdf.

However, I doubt the Catholic board in Halton has the same document, and I am not sure any Catholic board has put in place such a document.

The Catholic school boards function very differently than the public boards, and their go to response is if you don?t like the way they do things try the public school board

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would ask the superintendent if they have any policy around diabetes. If they do then you need to see if it covers your situation satisfactorily. If it doesn't, then provide a copy of the Halton and Hamilton policies - and ask that they make setting such policy a priority.

I am glad that you have support from the superintendant. The principal obviously doesn't have a clue.