- advertisement -

Dentist

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Haleysmom2214, May 20, 2010.

1. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

So we went to see a peds dentist this time to see if they could help. Well nope. She had to be held down by me, my husband, the nurse and the dr had her head. Still we couldnt get her to open her mouth. I dont know what to do. She has 2 cavities. She is brushing more often 3 times a day now, but still need the teeth fixed. They gave me no ideas at all. Her bg dropped an hour later from being tramatized. I see the endo on monday will see his ideas.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Could you call your pedi and see if they could possibly give her something to take orally to help calm her? I know it's drastic, but you seem to have tried everything...

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

have they tried laughing gas?

anesthesia?

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It sounds as if they will need to do some sort of twilight sedation or anesthesia. The work needs to be done. I'm surprised a pediatriac dentist doesn't have more experience in dealing with a phobic child.

5. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

You may need to take her to a dentist that uses a sedation of some type. Sometimes it will involve an IV to give the sedation, but worth it if you cannot get her to cooperate.
    Good luck.

6. Haleysmom2214

Ya they havent even seen in her mouth, they know by what I've said. Her first dentist said he saw briefly but nothing to go on. They wanted to strap her to a board like the one the paramedics use I am like no way. The dr is like I dont know what to do, she may have to go to hospital. I am like nice, way to take charge. I dont think they want to hear from us again. I didnt like how they handled things so I wont be calling back.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I was offered valium when I went to get my wisdom teeth removed (declined, regretted it partway through, went for the laughing gas). An age-appropriate dose may help.

8. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

My daughters 2 youngest are the same way. She found a pediatric dentist that did all their work in the hospital on an outpatient basis. Maybe you can call around and see if someone is available and willing to do it that way.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Are these baby teeth? If so, is it really necessary to have them filled if they aren't bothering her?

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I don't remember if it was you that I responded to recently (probably), but when I was little, my mom would bring me in at least 30 minutes before my appointment so they could give me "medicine" to calm me down. They would wait for it to relax me, and they still used the gas on me.

They would give it to me there, but nowadays, they would probably have to write a prescription for you to give before you got there. It's extreme, but maybe necessary. Even if the teeth aren't bothering her (which by the time they DON'T hurt it can be bad), the decay can get up into the root and damage the adult teeth.

I would definitely call around to find a dentist that is "willing" to offer pre-visit meds to help. Good luck! I'm with you, I would NOT have let them strap my child down. Can you imagine how THAT would have traumatized her!?

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I just learned something new! My kids have never had a cavity so I am totally clueless about this! (And the no-cavity thing is totally pure luck, as I had the WORST teeth as a child, lol!) :cwds:

12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I'd report the dude who wanted to strap her to a board.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just curious, did something happen at a dentist that traumatized her?

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I would try a different pediatric dentist, and explain her fears. I would ask for a calming syrup before.:cwds:

15. Haleysmom2214

No nothing ever happened. She was really good with teeth cleaning. Been going for 3 years. But sents she lost her two front teeth, it was the worst time in her life you would have thought. So she stopped eating and stopped brushing. It was a horrible couple of days, so in that time I think she developed the cavities and wouldnt even let me in her mouth but I saw them. I had to hold her down to brush and fight.

16. LJM

LJM Approved members

They can use Versed for dentistry, but you would want to do any sedation in a very safe setting (like Children's Hospital where they have dental clinics).