- advertisement -

dentist

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Haleysmom2214, May 3, 2010.

1. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

Ok, so my little freaks out at the dentist now real bad. She has to go to a peds dentist now. She has a couple of cavities and I know that novacaine wont be enough she will be freaken out. Is there anything I need to look out for? I will run this by the endo but I was just curious right now what to expect.

2. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Will they give her, or can she tolerate the gas? If not, then talk to the dentist about prescribing a low dose valium for her to take before she goes.

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My daughter has not had to have cavities filled, thank goodness, but she has had an appliance placed and removed. My daughter is very anxious about the dentist and the gas seemed to help initially.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Sedation is also always an option... I can't even tell you how much I wish the same methods had been available when I was little. If my kids need anything more major than a minor filling I will pay the extra $228 for the sedation, because IMO it's MORE than worth it.

My kids, as a result, love going to the dentist, because it's never been horrible for them... even when they've had to have major stuff done (my oldest had 6 teeth pulled about a year ago) it's been no big deal for them. They come home sleepy and a bit out of it, but not traumatized.

5. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

My daughter was really traumatized by going to the pediatric dentist. Unfortunately some of her teeth did not form quite right, so they are soft or porous so she needed quite a bit of work done. The pediatric dentist uses full body restrains including a head restraint and parents are not permitted inside. I hated those things so I was looking around for another dentist because my daughter had a terrible time with it including complaints of not being able to breathe. At the last visit, before diagnosis, the dentist said he would only work on her again if she were sedated. She was diagnosed shortly thereafter and I discussed this with her endo in hopes of finding an alternative. The endo sent me to the dental clinic at children's hospital because she wanted any sedation to occur in a hospital setting.

The dentist at children's hospital decided the best course of action would be to put my daughter under general anesthesia to do the work. We were in at 6 AM and out by early afternoon. All went perfectly. And, fortunately, my medical insurance covered most of it, because my dental insurance would have covered almost none of it.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I'd love to find out more about your daughters dental conditions. We just got back from the pediatric dentist with the "wonderful" news that Isaac has six cavaties from the last time he was seen (3 months ago). There is no doubt in my mind that this has to do with needing such frequent treatments of lows in the middle of the night, which I brought up to them 3 months ago and they pooh-poohed...I'm very frustrated. So, today she brought up putting him under to do the work needed....I'm wondering if he needs to go to the children's hospital to have it done, too. How did you find out that it was covered by your medical? Did they run both your medical and dental?
    I had such a frustrating experience today. The pediatric dentist actually said, "well once his diabetes is under control and he's on a pump you shouldn't have such issues." I did try to educate, but I was fuming inside...ugh!

7. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

There is some calsification issue with my daughter's teeth. They are opaque white like chalk and they are prone to cavities. I asked if this was related to the diabetes. I was told the teeth did not form correctly but got no definitive answer as to why.

I did not find out my medical would cover it until I got the itemized billing showing $13,000 and my part was indicated at $0. I think even the neighbors could hear me exhale that day. I also recently got another itemized bill from my dental and I owe only the deductible on that one. So essentially the cleaning, filling, etc. was billed to the dental and the anesthesiologist and hospital fees were billed to my medical. I believed it worked out this way because my endo made the referral to my daughter's pediatrician who then asked our medical group to approve it and they did.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ask about having the grinding teeth sealed or bonded. It's not a cosmetic measure, it's intended to seal the uneven surfaces of the teeth to prevent cavities. I can't say for sure that it's been the charm, but Maddie's 12 and hasn't had a cavity yet, so perhaps it's done it's job :cwds:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

I am told that it was possibly caused by tablets sitting in her teeth at night after a low. I can see them, she wont let the dentist near here, she had to be restained there is no talking to her.

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Give Haley a lot of (((HUGS))) from me. I know exactly how she feels. I am having surgery on the 14th and you can guess I am not looking forward to it at all.

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

That would have been enough to send me looking for another dentist without ever having an cleaning! We went to one dentist that didn't use restraints - I got to walk DS and DD back to the back and sat with DS for a few minutes before they got started. Then I was told to go to the waiting room. On the back of the door that I passed to get to the waiting room was a sign "Keep this door locked at all times". That meant I would be unable to get to my children from the waiting room. We never made another appointment with that dentist!!