- advertisement -

dentist finally!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Haleysmom2214, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

We finally got a dentist where we were able to get into her mouth. Took some pics and it's not good. Not good at all. She has at the least 8 cavities. Now mind you she brushes every day. And go to the dentist every 6 months. Hygene is very important to me. Plus she had alot of plaque build up. She also has a couple of deformed molars in the back, I had no idea about.

Now he said alot has to do with her diabetes and that her teeth are so close together. I read an article that said prolonged high bg's can cause alot of teeth issues like this. What do you think? I didnt think diabetes had anything to do with tooth decay.

So now plan is to put her under at the hospital and get more pics and fix the problem. I am so scared to put her under. My oldest has been put under for a couple of issue with no problems. I am just ready to cry. Funny thing is, is I am the strong one, the aggresive one and I dont know if I can keep doing that. I am ready to break.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

High blood glucose increases the glucose level of the saliva, so it does cause tooth decay. Giving low treatments overnight will also cause tooth decay, if you don't brush afterwards, but also if you brush immediately afterwards (you are actually brushing some of the protective enamel off of the teeth). So basically you're supposed to wait about 20 minutes after sugary food / drink and THEN brush teeth, but (for me at least) that just isn't feasible overnight. So the only advice from a D standpoint is "avoid low and high BGs as much as possible" - but of course, we all already do that.

I'm sorry Haley has the cavities, and hopefully some others will be more helpful in that area. I'm sure everything will go well, though. (((((hugs)))))

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Kris Im sorry:( I know somedays you feel like a hamster running around in those little wheels just going and going and going with no stopping off place. When I get to that point I tell everybody that has their hand out for some of my time and attention that I need to get gone for awhile. Then I take a walk or a drive or just sit on the deck. You have the right to have needs like everyone else and the right to say when enough is enough.

I think this will be the best option for your DD. If they can put her under anesthesia they can take a better look, fix everything up and not run the risk of traumatizing her. As she gets older she will probably be able to stand the dentists appts easier. My son has had 3 cavities filled so far and has to have one done today. I think it comes from giving him juice at night for lows and then not brushing his teeth. I just hate the idea of waking him up to brush but we may have to start doing that.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Becky: After you give him juice, can you give him water, just to rinse his teeth off from the juice? That might help with it sitting on his teeth all night.

We are fortunate that the dentist says Emma's teeth right now are spaced nicely so there aren't a ton of crevices for the juice to get stuck in, but I know there will come a time that will be a problem.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Has she ever gotten sealants?

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

She'll be ok.:cwds:

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I think that doing the work under anesthesia is a good idea. It won't be as bad as you imagine. You don't want her traumatized about the dentist & with this she won't remember it. My daughter had another dental procedure done under anesthesia and it was fast & no trouble.

definitely ask about sealants. My daughter has had diabetes since age 3 & has always gotten the sealants & she has zero cavities. Some of the cavity prone-ness may be the diabetes, but I think it is hereditary too.

kim

8. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

My daughter too had dental issues and she had a lot of work under general anesthesia. It was fast, simple, painless. It was done at Children's Hospital and I knew that if something should go wrong they would be best equipped to handle it. Everything was fine.

9. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

I really dont think she has. I know my older kids do. I will look into that.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Thats a good idea Nancy thank you! Especially sucked through a straw the water would give his teeth a good rinse. I'm going to start doing that:)