- advertisement -

Dentist and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coeen, Jul 24, 2013.

1. coeen

coeen Approved members

Hi all,
    My almost 5 year old has two little cavities. The dentist wants to fill them without numbing him? Is that normal for a little kid? Plus, I have asked him to put sealant on his teeth to help prevent more cavities but he said no, not till he has his adult teeth. I talked to him about how at night he sometimes needs juice and sleep drinks. I don't want to wake him to brush his teeth then. He still said no. Do you have sealants on your little ones teeth? Is that normal to ask for?
    Thanks

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Sealants are imperative for most younger children, regardless of whether they have T1 or not! My kids had sealants on ALL of their baby molars. And holy cow about the refusal to numb before drilling! YIKES!! My kids were topically numbed for the Novocaine shot!!

Time to get a new pediatric dentist! :)

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

No way would anyone drill on my kid's teeth without numbing him. I'd find another dentist.

Our dentist didn't seal until the kids had their adult molars.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If the cavities are very shallow, it may be less traumatic to fill them without numbing the teeth. With respect to the sealant, both my kids have them on their baby teeth and big kid teeth. Our dentist is T1 himself and a big proponent of sealants.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had 13 cavities when he first went to the dentist at age 4 (dx'd about 6 months). Sealants were a regular part of his care and the main reason he had just one cavity since then and he is now 19.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter had a cavity that was shallow and the dentist (also a family friend so he said he would do the same with his kids) basically said getting the shot would be worse than the drilling. He got to it very quickly and my child had no real discomfort.

As for sealants, both my kids got them on baby molars to avoid any more and potentially deeper cavities.

I'd be more concerned with him not wanting to do sealants than to do a filling without Novocain.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My first four cavities as a child were filled without numbing for the reasons that Beach Bum and hawkeyegirl gave. I didn't feel a thing. If you otherwise trust the dentist, I would let him go ahead.

8. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I'm a dental hygienist and I agree with this! If the decay is not into the dentin it is less traumatic to fill without anesthesia. You can always ask for nitrous oxide if the little one is still nervous. My t1 son has sealants on his baby molars, but I placed them myself. Insurance won't cover deciduous (baby) teeth for sealants and it is hard to do them on some little ones. If you're adamant about having them done on baby teeth, you could go to the local dental hygiene school. They are always looking for pediatric patients to do sealants on and it's much cheaper. :)

9. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Sean had a cavity (not sure if was shallow or not) but gave him a little "smelly gas" before and it was no problem. This is a kid who can't stand a thing.
    Ironically but have appointments today, I will ask them about sealants and numbing. I'll let u know

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've personally had one cavity filled without Novocaine and I am seriously the biggest wuss because I only have ever had 2 filled, in my life, so I had no idea what to expect. It was honestly so easy. No pain at all, and no annoying numbing later. I was out of the chair in literally 10 minutes. If the dentist is suggesting it, then do it.

11. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Both my kids have had tiny cavities filled with no Novocaine - they both said it was no big deal. Did the doctor tell you why he wouldn't put sealants on baby teeth? I attribute my kids' lack of cavities to the sealants they had on their baby teeth - because at 5 years old kids certainly don't do a thorough job brushing.

12. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

my daughter was diagnosed at 1.5 years and at almost 5 she still has no cavities and we don't seal. We've seen 2 ped dentists just because of moving and both don't seal kids teeth. Maybe they won't on her because her teeth are fine though, I don't know

13. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Sometimes the numbing process can take time...the Orajel type gel, then the needle, wait for the numbness to work, then the drilling and then dealing with the numbness after is a pain. Perhaps your little one will get more anxious waiting in the chair for the whole process; it might be easier to get it over with quickly; you know your child best!

We decided to skip the sealants, and so far so good, knock wood. There are pros to cons to both sides, but it should be YOUR choice as the parent and not the dentist. I would seek a second opinion.

Good luck.

14. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

I had written a very nice reply, but I accidentally closed the tab (time to go to bed!). Short reply: my ds who's T1D had 3 teeth sealed and one cavity done when he was 2 1/2. The cavity was shallow, so no novacaine necessary (our entire family has had cavities done this way and seriously - no pain). Our dentist uses a water-laser drill, though, so maybe that's the difference? As for the sealants, our insurance doesn't cover it for baby teeth, so the dentist gives us a small discount beyond the PPO rate. We had to break it down into 2 appointments, but he did fine sitting on my dh's lap in the dental chair.