- advertisement -

Denied Summer camp because of diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gomod71, Jun 27, 2011.

1. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The camp is a public place and therefore by law they cannot deny your son access to the camp. It is a place covered under public accommodations under the American with Disabilities Act. By denying your son access to the camp because he has diabetes they are clearly breaking Federal Law. Let the OCR know about this and also contact 1-800-Diabetes and let them know.

2. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I hope you push for this...both for your son to see that he shouldn't roll over when he finds an unjust barrier, and also for all the kids who will surely come behind him who deserve to go to camp too. Do you know any other D families in the area? Be sort of sweet to have a mass enrollment of D kids this year & see their response :D

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I was unhappy to read the gist of your email and shocked and pissed off that it is happening right here where I live , though I do usually watch NBC 30. Please keep me updated.

4. mom2Hanna

if you investigate their site further, they are fundraising to build a "special needs cabin" with 24 hr nursing and health care for special needs kids. Due to open in 2013. Wonder what their contributors would think about kids being denied access.

not only that, but this is on their overnight camp site.

"We want you to feel comfortable leaving your child in our care. Our medical staff are trained professionals with experience in working with children. We have several Camp RN?s, licensed in nursing in accordance with the Connecticut General Statutes. Our medics serve as the RN?s support staff, credited with American Red Cross Standard First Aid and Personal Safety Training certification, or the equivalent A physician is always on call nearby for more serious concerns. All health forms must be filled out prior to the beginning of camp. All of this information enables us to take the best possible care of your child. In addition, many of these items are required by the State of Connecticut. Our policy does not allow children to attend camp without a complete medication order written by an authorized prescriber and the written permission of the child's parent or legal guardian. Here?s to a happy and healthy camp season!"

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I am so sorry you have to deal with this outrageous frustration...but good luck with your fight. It is heartbreaking that your child should have to see this face of discrimination...but in the end, his seeing you stand up for his rights could be a positive experience for him. I hope this is the only time he faces such discrimination, but, if it isn't, I think watching you could be empowering for him. He will now know that he does not have to take such ignorant treatment, and there are things he can do to fight it. Involving him by talking to him about what you are doing might help to ease his disappointment and make him feel a part of the fight.

Again, good luck! I will be looking for your updates.

6. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

WOW!!!!! I hope you get the proper resolution.
    I think someone is going to get their hand slapped for this one, deservedly so! He should be able to go to camp, and spend the night if he so chooses!
    These things make me angry!

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I agree with Karla. These are people who have not been in this situation, they are scared of the risk and don't know their responsibilities. Let the OCR sort this out. Save public humiliation as a last resort. Most people who put on summer camps for kids are not bad people - they may be uninformed.

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I completely agree.

9. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Im with you on this, I would be having all the same feelings as you have! I hope this gets resolved for you and your son :cwds:

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I was looking at their web site earlier and it does say this:

http://www.channel3kidscamp.org/#!__board

"Channel 3 Kids Camp is a non profit corporation in the State of Connecticut with tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Our Board of Directors are a volunteer based group comprised of dedicated and enthusiastic professionals."

It also says this:

http://www.channel3kidscamp.org/#!__about/accreditation

Health Care: Staff and facility requirements, medication management, required health information and recordkeeping

Im thinking because its a not for profit establishment then they should have to go by federal rules and regulations. I know that they do receive donations but probably are federally funded as well.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Not all non-profit organizations receive federal funding. I just would recommend going in asking questions instead of guns blazing to start - guns blazing typically results in fighting back instead of trying to find a way to work together

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Right. Churches are non-profits too, and they don't receive federal funding.

The camp definitely gets state funds (which I found in a Google search), so it's almost a certainty that they receive federal funds.

I'd send a nice, polite e-mail saying that you are seeking accommodations for your son under the Americans With Disabilities Act. I don't think they're going to magically change their tune, but like I said above, it lays the groundwork for an OCR complaint.

13. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Exactly, which is what I have done. I vent to you all and my family and facebook friends, but have been very controlled with the camp.

I spoke with the Director of the Camp a bit ago. He assembled a list of questions/concerns that the nursing staff has. I answered most of them on the phone, I'm clearly dealing with a case of absolute ignorance here. His nursing staff is generally made up of school nurses.

The questions he asked - omg - it's like imaging every bad scenario you ever have had or heard of with children with diabetes. Such as - Is he beligerent about his care? Does he do his own care? Does he hide his diabetes? Does he participate in sports? How long as he had diabetes? How long as he had a pump "apparatus"? How long has he self medicated?

I have to admit, I was just a tad bit sarcastic in my response since he almost acted shocked that I didn't let him self medicate from day one. (Sorry, my 6 year old drawing up his own insulin and using needles really wasn't something I considered. :rolleyes: )

He asked in a very poorly worded fashion, if my son has ever required emergency medical treatment because of his diabetes.

I yet again asked what statutes he's referencing. He finally gave them to me, but of course, I had already read them, highlighted them, and had them in hand. (FYI it's CT Dept of Public Health 19-13B27a)

He openly admitted to me that the camp will decline a camper if they feel they cannot handle their medical needs. OMG. He did not just say that?

Crazy. Just crazy.

He's emailing me a very specific list of questions/concerns that the nursing staff has.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Alexander wants to go to this camp now but I will get this resolved for other children, if not for my own.

The only reference I made to discrimination was that I have an almost 11 year old little boy who's heart was broken and who feels he's been discriminated against because of his diabetes - because that is the truth and that was my son's own words.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

The school nurses that they hire don't know how to treat/handle a child with D??? :confused: It's not as though you are going to drop your kid off and say "Hey, you figure it out!" :rolleyes: I cannot believe they are giving you this much trouble. Quite frankly, if it were me, I wouldn't want my child going to a camp that says one thing on their website and another when faced with the reality.

I am so sorry you are going through this! :(

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Jen,
    Please give your son a big hug from me. Having been discriminated against myself I know how he feels. It stinks. At the same time, you are an awesome mom and Alexander is so lucky to have you on his side.

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm not sure I'd want my son at such a camp either...but it is very unselfish and kind of you to fight on for future CWD.

Good luck again!

17. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

In addition to trying to answer their questions, which seem all over the place, why not also just deal with the fact that these people have no clue what will be required to properly care for a child with diabetes at a day camp? That's really why they are asking those wide ranging questions. What they need is an organized sheet of instructions from you - kind of like a 504. What do the counselors need to know about diabetes (signs of lows/highs, how to respond), when does he normally test, what does counselor/nurse have to do when he boluses, when should they call you, etc.
    Who knows what they are imagining.

18. mom2Hanna

Just wondering what the outcome is. Is he going or did they continue to resist.

19. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Sorry your still having to deal with this issue, it just doesn't seem right... Are they afraid of the "apparatus" ;)

20. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

An update -

After my conversation on the phone with the Director the other day, he and the nurses were apparently satisified that they could handle (at least this) child with diabetes. They requested we come meet them and go over a daily schedule so I will do that.

They of course want all the necessary paperwork such as doctor's orders, self medication ok from the doctor's office, fast acting glucose, the necessary kits for testing sugar and ketones and Glucagon. They act like it's a huge deal - I tried to nicely tell them more than once that we're used to this stuff. I deal with school paperwork, this is normal!

I honestly think in addition to being totally ignorant about diabetes, they must have a lot of low income campers that come from parents/homes that parents are clueless or ignorant themselves. It's hard not to judge, but I can only guess this is why they act the way they have. I mean, would you ever send your child somewhere without fast acting glucose?

As far as further actions, I'm going to see how the camp session goes. It's a one week day camp in a couple weeks. What about the next time? Will we have a hard time? What about if YOUR child wants to go there? Or a child with another condition they don't feel they can handle? I'm not going to drop it but I'm going to go step by step.

I put for my facebook status yesterday something that I thought summed it up best. "By ignorance we mistake, by mistakes we learn".

Thanks for all your support! I'll keep you posted how it goes and what I decide to do from here.