- advertisement -

Denied after-school care due to Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Jan 21, 2014.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Hello, Its been a while since I've been on this site, so fogive me if something similar has been asked recently.

My son is 7, in first grade, Type 1 w/ MDIs. I have been trying to find after school care for him for a while. I live in a smaller town and I do not have a lot of options for day care that have room for him and work with child care assistance. I talked to the after school care program at his school and while they have openings, the district nurse said they can not take him because of his diabetes. Something about needing someone there with training and not being able to do it since its after school hours. Do I really have no other say in this? It seems like one of the staff members could be trained just like when he did the after school care program in his old district. How do I find out what laws exist in my area to see if there is anyway to get around this?

Now, I will say this was a second hand message from the person that runs the after school care program, I havent spoken with the district nurse specifically yet. I wanted to get myself informed as to our rights before I talked to her.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If your child attends a public school and they provide an after-school program, they have to have someone there to care for him during that program. It's federal law. Talk to the district nurse first and see what she says, but if you have to pursue this, I would contact the American Diabetes Association for help. They are great with school issues.

5. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Thank you for the information!! I am slowly working through it all to get an understanding of the laws.

hawkeyegirl, the after school care I mentioned is not a school sanctioned activity, its basically a day care that is run through the school for kids to attend before or after school. Do you think that is considered and after-school program?

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Even day cares are supposed to at least check the blood sugar, so this organization is not exempt.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Any program run on public school grounds must, as I understand it, provide accommodations. Remember that section 504 protections are Federal Law, any school that receives Federal funds, and that would be ALL public schools, are subject to it. They may or may not be obligated to provide a nurse, but they must provide someone who can check bg, administer insulin, etc. This is why you need to look at the ADA site for the State Laws concerning kids with Type 1 at school to see what the state law mandates with regard to nurses vs trained personnel.

This is also worth reading as you begin to understand the function of the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA in this article, not the American Diabetes Association ADA) FWIW our kids are legally considered "Disabled" http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/sec504.afterschool.crabtree.htm

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We have a similar situation where my daughter's after school program is run by an outside company. Definitely consult the district nurse. When I broached the subject with the people that are mainly there after school, they insisted that they weren't "allowed" to do anything "medical." However, when I went further up the chain, the program manager was very agreeable and people were trained by the school nurse within a week.

I think sometimes people just don't want to do anything more than what they think their job entitles. We were talked out of after care at my daughter's previous school (a public school) because they said all they would do is call 911 if there were any issues. And yet, after a few months I had no choice but to sign her up, and lo and behold, the school nurse (who we absolutely loved) was assigned to be there during aftercare, instead of her other assignment at a different school.

I guess my point is just to be persistent :) Good luck!

9. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Thanks for the information and replies!

I spoke to the district nurse. She said that she told the program coordinator that she could not provide nursing services because it would be after her scheduled work day. She said she could not train the staff because she would have to be there to be able to supervise them. She also said she didnt have any say in who did or did not attend the after school care, just that she could not provide nursing services.

So, I put a call back into the program coordinator to ask about training the staff myself. Hopefully we get a little further this time.